X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Getting Started With Windows MCE for PVR

OK, I recently moved my computer into the same room as my HT system. I have no interest in getting into HTPC proper, but I would really like to be able to use my computer as a PVR, so I can stop using my SVHS deck.

My thought is to get Windows MCE 2005 (I can pick up an OEM copy with a system I am building for someone else right now) and install it on a second partition. A couple of questions:

1. I have Bell ExpressVu. How can I link this into MCE, so my program information comes up through it? Do I need to pay for some sort of subscription service? I saw a setup at a customer's house, and he had it tied in with Shaw Digital Cable. Is it something I have to do with Bell, or how does it work?

2. What do I need to get the signal from the Bell receiver to the PC? TV Tuner card fed from the RF out on the satellite receiver? How will this affect picture quality, as I currently run s-video out from the Bell to my TV, which is MARKEDLY better than either RF or composite.

3. What software do I need to perform PVR functions? Is this included as part of MCE? Or do I need third party software?

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, I'm excited to hear, and I appreciate any feedback.

Jeff.
  • rcchap
    • Jan 2004

Jeff,

I,m no expert but I've been looking into it a little.

1. MCE uses the internet to pull program information and uses its own built in guide.

2. Are there tv capture cards that have s vid inputs, etc? I don't know.

3. It is included

Sorry man, but that's all I've got

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"