X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

Half-life 2

First day registering this was a real pain in the butt, it took at least 6 hours before finally getting a spot, First time I've ever seen a game that requires you to be online to play single player mode. :evil: Overall the game is excellent as anticipated. Remember the time that you thought you didn't need an upgrade for your video card, well this is the time(aheem! i mean game) that you need to. You have to really enjoy how graphics rendering with this game is done. From the moment it loads up, your v/c hits nirvana, just awesome graphics right there in front of you. Play on!! :W :W
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

a game that requires you to be online to play single player mode.
    You can't play without being on line??? or just to register the game the first time?

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
      • Aug 2004

yepp, you have to be online to play single player mode

It's weird how they did it, they were doing this to deter piracy. To play single player mode you have to be connected online and have the game authenticated, I don't know if they're working the kinks out or it's going to be like this from now on. I mean you can not even sell your game as long as you have it registered on your account. This is like cutting edge stuff,as far as the game goes alot of people are complaining about graphics distorting, like color blue and purple dots showing up every now and then while playing the game. All the problems have been addresed to Valve but they're keeping mum about it. Even with the recommended requirements (DirectX 9 level cards, don't seem to function right) I don't know but I think they rushed this game when the code was nicked last year by hackers, but it made alot of people upset. :M

The Steam Spring Sale is on now — find great deals on thousands of games!

This is the official site and it gives all the FAQS of what the heck is going on.
      On the top part about they authenticate your copy by being online is sort of nonsense, since you have to unhook after you get autheticated, and open steam offline, which does not make much sense at all, so you may as well be connected. It would be hard to comprehend to that kind of stuff, it's like you buy their games and you play in their servers and have the bandwidth to come with by providing you with their own and police it themselves which I think would be ok, but heck you might be getting unknown spywares. They say they do not include it in their softwares, but I'm pretty sure one day an ad for PIZZA HUT would pop-up while you're playing Counter-Strike, and have commercials while the game is changing maps. yikes!!! :lol: :rofl: :B

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
        • May 2003

Mmmmm HL2

I picked up a copy of HL2 and the DVD of Riddick on Tuesday so i was quite content with Browse through both while waiting for the install.
        Steam, although cutting edge, is just plain crap.
        I'm all for copy protection, but this is rediculous.
        OTH, i've seen Valve is secretly tracking the IPs of all those Warez HL2 copies making its way around torrent right now.

This aside, i'm REALLY enjoying it.
        Kicks some doom3 butt, thats for sure.
        I got into some quick games of Counter strike again too.
        It was nice to play again, after the original had succombed to L337 H4X0rz.
        (yes, i'm sure they're still cheating on CS:S)

i was unfortunate to have one of those Bad sound files freeze and skip my system to death. (conviently rectified by that sndAsync_asyn "1" setting in console- although now sound doesn't match up..better then no CS though).

HL2 itself is sweet. i was on the swamp buggy for the past couple days and i finally met father Gregor last night. Awesome stuff.
        Can't wait for some TF2!

Cheers,
        Hope yer enjoying this as much as i am.
        Now if i only had a nice x800 to go with it ops:

Mikey
        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
        -Dark Helmet

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

I'm all for copy protection, but this is rediculous
          Yeah, although authentication isn't that unusual these days. From my further reading on the internet, once you authenticate your copy online with Ssteam, that's pretty well the end of the online nonsence.....you can then play off line standalone any time because the authentication key is resident on your computer.

Certainly other companies have done this before. My yearly tax software I buy requires an online authentication - then you're good to go. If the world wasn't so full of thieves, cheats, spammers, virus writers, etc, then it wouldn't be necessary I guess.

Everything I read says the game is quite good though - amazing graphics if your computer is up to it. I just put together an A64 3400+ with a NVidia FX5900. Not the top of the line, but hopefully it will do this game justice when I get it. I really liked Half Life 1............

brucek

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
            • Aug 2004

It's the best game I've ever seen, no doubt about that. But I would question Valves practice why they treat their paying customers like this, it's should be register once and forget about it. Like what we do with Windows, have a regular update. They could still trace a pirated copy and not let you update or patch your software. It's always been like that, but with Valve it's entirely different they make it difficult for a guy to play without having internet connection to play.

I sent them an email regarding playing through desktop and laptop, and I have not gotten any response from them yet. They might require me to get a volume licensing on HL2?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"