X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

Please help my supervisor

Hello All,

I was just approached by my boss to find him some help in regards to a new TV purchase. He would like a monster even though his seating distance is only 13ft away. A 60" set would be around the optimum size that we are looking for. A lot of dvd's, hi-def satellite and regular satellite channels are what he watches the majority of the time. To give you an idea, he has 3 200 disc progressive scan dvd changers that are full. At the same time, regular sat channels must be watchable.

Absolute max limit is 8K. He is also open to waiting til next summer before the start of the NFL season. What can I say, we're in WI.

Any advice is welcomed,
    wasser
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I still recommend CRT RPTV's as they still offer the best PQ IMO not to mention they're dirt cheap They can be on the big side though.

DLP based RPTV's would be my next recommendation.

If he has a light controlled room, I'd recommend a long look at a front projector even in conjunction with a smaller "regular" display.

I think more info on his decor, size restrictions, light control etc is needed to give the best recomendation.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• goskers
      • Jun 2004

Thanks Jason,

I just got done reading Bing's giant post regarding his toshiba hx93. That has even gotten me to think about jumping into this game.

I will try and get more info in regards to room conditions and such because I know that that will help.

I seems to be that NTSC signals just don't look very good on high quality, larger screen TV's. If that is the case then I hope the highdef channels come along very quickly.

wasser

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

No problem Let us know when you've got more info

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

I seems to be that NTSC signals just don't look very good on high quality, larger screen TV's
          It's a case of crap in crap out. Luckily if he is a football fan, they are all in Hi Def(except College).

I would recommend a Mits 65" CRT RPTV but if he can do a front projection, I would. That said if he bails on both options, then a JVC DILA Is the next best bet IMHO.

Personally I can say that I'm happy with my Mits 55" set and the picture for non HD stuff is VERY watchable(after alot of tweaking). Removing the protective screen made a nice improvement(probably the biggest). I have also dialed in the contrast etc. All I lack is a solid once over by an ISF Tech. He could easily get a 65" Mits for under $3k.
          He can then take the 5k extra and boost his audio system which is what I did(though not that much $$).

65" at 13 feet back would be perfect.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shane Martin
            65" at 13 feet back would be perfect.
            Gotta agree with Shane on this. I'm viewing a 58" at approximately 11' and it's perfect for me visually.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

are you talking about 13 feet of room altogether not including the TV in there or 13 feet of viewing distance no matter what TV or display you use. A typical 65 inch RPTV is about 2 feet in depth, so you have the take 2 feet off the 13 feet.
              Shane Martin, did you remove the protective screen yourself? I have a Panasonic 53 inch and I've been wondering what it'll take to remove it and get rid of some of the glare I get when I watch it when there's light in the room. I don't like watching TV in a completly dark room, and that glare is just so annoying. Can a ISF tech remove the screen for me and do a calibration at the same time?

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Raymond, yes removing the protective screen will cut the glare. The ISF tech can do it if you don't want to tackle the job. However, it's on there for a reason. If you have small children, very active pets or host rambunctious house parties, I recommend leaving it in place.

Also, I'll bet that the 13' mentioned is to the screen. Normally, you consider the distance from the screen to the veiwer's eyes.
                Last edited by David Meek; 25 October 2004, 12:23 Monday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"