• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

CEDIA scuttlebutt

For those of you not scouring the web for CEDIA FP news - a quick roundup:

The Sony HS51 appears to be a big jump for LCD. Picture is generally comparable to HS20 by reports, SDE and VB etc. Onff CR is very definitely improved, though. Maybe not to the alleged 6000:1 level, but on par with a Sharp 12000 according to one Sharp owner anyway. ALso, HDMI port only, DVI has poofed. And very very quiet. (I guess its hunting rabbits.)

Teranex has packaged all their scaling goodness and mastery into a Silicon Optix chip. Look for a new level of consumer scaler capability in a year or so.

Fujitsu has a lovely $25K 1080p LCD PJ out. Incorporates their scaling solution developed for plasma. May dent the high end single chip DLP arena a bit.

A non-qualia branded SXRD 1080RPTV is showing, 70" or so, <$10K. Qualia in a box.

No sign that 1080 DLP will appear yet, but maybe soon.

Panasonic AE700 also reported to be a next level of CR improvement (2000:1) for LCD. At a real bargain price ($2.5Kish street). One poster compared it to the Sony, said both were roughly equal.

JVC's new deal is the HX2, similar to the HX1 but 2000:1 contrast. List is $12K. No sign of the rumored 720 DILA, so guess this was it. Resolution unchanged from the HX1, but lumens dropped well under 1000.

Z3 announced but not shown.

Panasonic has a 5000 lumen single chip DLP @ WXGA resolution. Since this chip is not listed by TI anywhere, a bit of a mystery. Brighty bright though.

Marantz S4 looks nice in its new silver suit. No major change, CR is bumped, processing is now a Gennova (sp?) instead of Faroudjia solution.

I wanna see the fujitsu.

BB
    Last edited by Brandon B; 12 September 2004, 01:29 Sunday.
  • gordo2
    • Sep 2004

Thanks for the quick roundup of the latest happenings. Can you give your assumption of the difference of HS-51 or AE700 to current LCD projectors currently on the market? From recommendations from these forums, I'm on the verge of making a move for the Yamaha LPX-510 but am contemplating waiting for these new models to come out. I can get a pretty good deal on the Yamaha and am not concerned of the price difference factor of these models but just the best picture.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

First a correction. Turns out the S4 does have the new DLP chip with better contrast.

In most respects I would say the picture of the new Panny, new Sony and the Yamaha are probably close. But the contrast capabilities of the the panny, and maybe moreso the Sony (time and reviews will tell) will be much better, so you will get something approaching or even matching DLP blacks from these, but not from the Yamaha.

Some other infobits on the Sony. There is alleged to be some downloadable PC based gamma tweaking software that makes this even more desirable.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Oh, and one show goer had a brief report on the Fujitsu, and while he was self-admittedly not a knowledgeable discerning videophile, felt it was in the league of the Sony Qualia and HD2K.

I think the specs were 3000:1 and 1200 lumens.

BB

Comment

• gordo2
          • Sep 2004

Thanks for the info. I hope the Sony comes out by the end of October, any news on release dates?

Gordon

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Than ks for the CEDIA info, Brandon. I have read elsewhere that NEC is working on a 720P DLP home theater projector. I am still overwhelmed by the quality picture I get on my NEC HT1000 but it would be nice if NEC is bringing out a higher res model. In widescreen my PJ is 1024 x 576. Have you heard anything on this new NEC ?
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Heard a reference, but nothing concrete.

And have to again reverse on the marantz thing. They are still using HD2+ in the S4.

BB

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"