X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcchap
    • Jan 2004

TV suggestions until FP

Hey guys, Thinking about my future HT. Basement remodeling should be complete by fall .I know that down the road (~2 yrs)I will be going FP so the thoughts are what to do in the meantime. I want something that I can use down the road for cable viewing with the FP and satisfy all of my needs right now. Distance to wall from seat will be 11' and light is not an issue. I would like to stay under $2,000.
    My questions are:
    1. 16:9 or 4:3 - since it will mainly be for cable in the future will I be wasting $ with a 16:9.

2. RPTV or CRT - is 36" too small for 11' if CRT. Should I be looking more 46"ish.

Will I be happy with 16:9 for regular broadcast (stretch).
    Will I be pissed watching movies and HD in the meantime on a 4:3.

I prefer the pq of CRT but not sure about the size.
    I know that these are personal preference issues but I'm just curious what you guys use for a second TV with FP or what you would recomend for my situation.

Thanks.

Chris
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

If you're thinking hard about a projector sometime soon, and spending something close to $2,000, consider skipping the television altogether and look at the Sanyo Z2, Panasonic LT500 or 300.

I was in a similar situation, and have no regrets whatsoever about getting a Z2.

Paul

Comment

• rcchap
      • Jan 2004

Thanks Paul. That is the projector that I have my eye on. What is the other name that it is manufactured as? Well if I do go that route I still need a TV since this room will be our new "family room"/HT. That would drop my budget for the TV down below $1,000. Is there a decent TV out there that would work for me given the distance and the fact that I will be using the TV in this set up over 50% of the time.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rcchap
        Hey guys, Thinking about my future HT. Basement remodeling should be complete by fall .I know that down the road (~2 yrs)I will be going FP so the thoughts are what to do in the meantime. I want something that I can use down the road for cable viewing with the FP and satisfy all of my needs right now. Distance to wall from seat will be 11' and light is not an issue. I would like to stay under $2,000.
        My questions are:
        1. 16:9 or 4:3 - since it will mainly be for cable in the future will I be wasting $ with a 16:9.

2. RPTV or CRT - is 36" too small for 11' if CRT. Should I be looking more 46"ish.

Will I be happy with 16:9 for regular broadcast (stretch).
        Will I be pissed watching movies and HD in the meantime on a 4:3.

I prefer the pq of CRT but not sure about the size.
        I know that these are personal preference issues but I'm just curious what you guys use for a second TV with FP or what you would recomend for my situation.

Thanks.

Chris
        RPTV stands for Rear Projection TV....

CRT = Cathode Ray Tubes.....3 of em```Red Green blue....

Anything over 36" is CRT.......

also other technologies include LCD/DLP/Plasma....and soon to be LCOS....and are quite pricey....

Projectors are great but they have bulb lives......so for watching TV it could be a little costly to maintain....and if you have ambient light....you might have to squint!

Last edited by Bam!; 14 August 2004, 12:10 Saturday.
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

If you don't have adequate loght control for that room, go with a small affordable RPTV, 42" or so. Toshiba and Panasonic make good sets for the money, if you want higher quality go with Hitachi or Mitsubishi, though they cost more. Pretty much anything else lower in price will be lower quality, which may or may not matter to you if you don't plan on keeping them or are just using them for secondary viewing.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

11 feet back would mean that you could get away with a 55" if you wanted to. I bought a 55" Mits and have been pleased as punch with it. The stretch modes ROCK. I only use them for 4x3 though.

I personally would not spend $1k on a FPTV and 1k on a normal TV if you go that route. I would get a nice TV for now and 2 years down the road when the technologies have increased, your $2k then will go along ways towards better quality.

If the box of a RPTV is too big then a 36" TV will do but personally a 36" is pretty small from 11 feet back IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"