X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhys
    • Aug 2004

toshiba tdp-s20

hi all

im looking at buying the above projector and was wondering whether anyone has an opinion on this pj?? i can get some toshiba pj's cheap through work and managed to have a quick look at this one today...could see some minor rainbows but they didnt bother me too much - do you think this is a decent low budget HT pj??

opinions much appreciated!

cheers
    rhys
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Rhys, I believe this is a business presentation projector. They are not usually recommended for home theater use, though some people have gone that route. Unless you are getting it really really cheap, I'd put my money into something like the Infocus 4805 which has widescreen panels and is tuned for home theater use. The X1 is also a very low priced PJ. Bam here owns one and swears by it.

Check out the Toshiba website. I believe they only list 3 projectors for home theater use. The cheapest, a 854 x 480 res PJ was around $1500 US. That could be a good starter PJ if you can get a good deal on it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

The problem with the low budget DLP projectors, like this Toshiba, the Dells, I've seen, etc, is that their color rendition generally stinks. It's a function of the light engine as well as calibration; the light engine is tuned for maximum light output with minimum lamp wattage and spectral quality; even PowerPoints look pretty poor on these, compared with, say, a Sony LCD. Yellows look green, reds look more purple, etc. If you see one, you'll know what I mean. Yes, they have a "theater" color mode, in some cases, (like the Dells), but that, IMO, only gets them maybe half way there, re color accuracy.

I do a lot of PowerPoint stuff on various projectors because of my day job in Applications and concept engineering. I see a lot of projectors, but I create the presentations on color calibrated desktops and laptops (mine!), so I know what they SHOULD look like. The SVGA Dell projectors make me nauseous.

Try before you buy, or you risk severe buyers remorse.

Best regards,

Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Rhys, Jon knows of what he speaks. I'd take his advice seriously.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"