X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCOS Lover
    • Jul 2004

New JVC LCOS

Has anyone seen the new JVC LCOS TV? wow. It is a 3 panel LCOS with 720p and it looks nice. LCOS seems to have had many false starts, hope this is real. Also, it seems I am very sensitive to color break up or "rainbows" on DLP and single panel LCOS, I am interested to how many people can see it, and how many have noticed it after the set got home?
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Hey!

Welcome!

Our buddy LEVESQUE here at the guide owns one. It's presently being calibrated in California....he loves it.....the wife too!

He uses a Denon 5900 on it!

I'm sure when he sees this thread he'll be on it like Kung on Fu! :lol:

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'm rooting for underdog LCOS as it seems to offer the good points of the digital chip based displays with liitle of their down sides. It's biggest hurdle so far is manufacturing costs due to lower yeilds. Intel (as much as I loathe the comapny.. :lol: ) is supposed to start producing LCOS chips and if so hopefully can increase output and hence lower costs :T Winner: consumer :B

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'm curious to see how LCOS plays out, becuase for better or worse, there's a big push to do single chip LCOS displays; some of the chip manufacturers now have chips with response time of about 1 msec, which makes up to 540 Hz update rate possible; then, they use a rotating color while like DLP.

The potential advantage compared with DLP is that they don't have to use temporal dithering to get effective PWM for low light levels; the chip integrates the signal, producing the correct gray scale. OTOH, I think I'd rather have a three chip display, though using a single chip does eliminate panel alignment problems, which can become acute as you eventually move upo to 1920X1080 panel resolutions with panel chips under 1" in size!

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• LCOS Lover
          • Jul 2004

The reason I love LCOS is I have seen some 1080p demo sets (the beauty of working in the business) and that is what I am waiting for. They are just plain unbeatable. In fact if you want a treat next time you are in Tokyo or Osaka go to the Sony building and ask to see the Qualia projector. They will give you a demo of the projector and the Sony Blue ray disc, usually some movie trailers in native 1080p.

It is shown on a 140" screen. The panels are 1920 x 1080 (3 of course) with a Xenon lamp that has beautiful reds. It is do die for (or $24k). Since that I cant watch anything else and think it looks good.

3 panel is the only way to go for me because I see the color break up, so that means LCD or LCOS (I have seen some of the 3 panel DLP and they are bueatiful but way to expensive), and because LCOS panels are reflective they fit more pixels on the same size panel than LCD, so eventually costs could be less.

anxious to hear from the new JVC owner and how the calibrations went....
          Last edited by LCOS Lover; 15 July 2004, 00:52 Thursday. Reason: miss spell

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

You don't need an appointment to see the qualia? I'm in Tokyo on business (again) and would love to see the thing, but figured they were weeding out lookie loos.

Although I could probably BS a legitimate reason with my line of business.

BB

Comment

• LCOS Lover
              • Jul 2004

You kind of need an appointment. However the last few times I have been, there have been no other appointments set, so they walk me right in.

The first time you go you need to write you name and address (pretty typical of anything in Japan), but once you do that your good to go. You don`t need to commit to buy (at $24k thank goodness) and they dont send you mail, or even ask what you do, so you dont need to come up with a reason.

In fact sometimes it seems the pretty ladies at the desk are kind of bored so they like the chance to have something to do...

If your in town, I would definately recommend you dont pass up the chance. you get to experience LCOS and Blue-Ray disc.

Havent heard any more from the JVC guys...

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Thanks. Have to go try and see it this weekend.

Saw the JVC HD2K at work and have been eager to compare the two.

BB

Comment

• LCOS Lover
                  • Jul 2004

The JVC HD2K, I havent seen yet.

Let me know what you think after you`ve seen the Sony.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"