X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steven_braith
    • May 2004

Sanyo PLV-Z1 Lamp Life !!!

Is there anybody else disappointed with the number of hours from their original PLV-Z1 lamp?
    I managed 352 hours in ECO mode + 2 hours in Bright mode. :M
    I wrote to Sanyo complaining. They replied by letter within 2 days (very impressed!)....they stated that each lamp is unique.....only two manufacturers worldwide, so price is controlled.....the next lamp may live for less (!?!) or more hours than the original.
    They have offered to sell me one at cost (still $400 AU). :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah lamp life is a questionable thing. I have been very lucky. My first PJ a Sony VPL400 gave me close to 2000 hours on the first lamp. The second one is now over 500 hours and going strong. My main Pj now is an NEC HT1000 dlp and the original lamp is going strong at just over 500 hours. Yet many Sony VPL owners have had lamps with less than 200 hours go, and some NEC owners are complaining about lamp failure at 2 and 300 hours, some even less. I guess it's like playing roulette. And a costly game at that when you lose.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• eddyg
      • Mar 2004

Sharp XV-Z1 bulb life

Hi,

My experiences with bulb life:

1st bulb ~2000 hours, unit shutdown due to bulb life expired AU$900
      2nd bulb ~300 hours, exploded, replacement at reduced cost due to short life, but then paid more for cleaning up all the glass! AU$800
      3rd bulb still going at 1100 hours, but got a yellow spot on the screen, so the bulb is on the way out.

This will be the last bulb I buy for this projector, it's then going in the bin, too expensive, and anyway is too noisy and low res.

One thing I will say about bulbs is clean those dust filters! They make a huge difference to the air flow and hence the cooling and bulb life. Also, never move the projector when the bulb is hot, and don't ever turn off the power without letting it cool down. Mine is mounted high up, which makes it difficult to clean, and so I didn't - hence the 300 hours for the second bulb.

Cheers, Edward.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

:E
        Gadzoucks duder!

You are one unlucky dude!

and gadzoucks on the movie watching you do!

How long have you had that FP ?

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I wouldn't think that an aging bulb would cause a yellow spot on the screen. More likely that's caused by a bit of dust on one of the LCD panels. An aging bulb would affect brightness and color temperature across the entire screen.

But you're right, keep those filters clean and the bulb will last longer. Also, avoid repeated power on/off cycles. Let the bulb warm up fully before turning off the power, and let it cool down completely after turning off the power, and it'll last longer.

Although they're expensive, it's a good idea to keep a spare bulb on hand.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

How big is this yellow spot? If it is not dust blob size, it can also be a couple of other things (although Kevin speaks truly, it is not the lamp). Let us know more about what this looks like.

A note about PJ bulbs in general. I get newsletters from projection industry groups, and every single one of them mentions the lamp shortage in the industry right now. It is due to the fact that the RPTV market using projection technologies (LCD, DLP) is now ramping up (at an order of magnitude larger than the FP industry and growing). Leads me to the (unsupported personal conjecture-type) conclusion that QC standards are being let slip just to meet shipment requirements for existing orders.

Since neither dealers nor PJ mfrs have any control over this or any way of telling the quality of the lamp they give you, I would not blame them overly much for this situation should it bite you. I'd blame Ushio and Philips. However, I would also not buy a PJ lamp from ANYONE without a very explicit agreement in writing beforehand as to a minimum life expectancy for it. And you aren't going to get that at the "best bargain online lamp place", or likely from most regular dealers, unless its the one you have given a reasonable amount of business in the past. My department at work pays 2-3X what you'd find the lowest price for a lamp online, and that's about the only way we get any kind of assurance.

I would also amplify Kevin's comments on power up and down, adding that waiting 5-10 minutes after the fan shuts down is better, as fan shutoff merely means the lamp has come down to the maximum temp at which a restrike is permissible. Waiting a little longer is better.

PJ mfrs and Philips indicated that a lamp restrike generally eats up about 0.01% of lamp life (at least they admit this if you coerce them). So on a "2000" hour lamp, switching off and back on cost you something in the range of 1-2 hours of life. So don't shut your PJ down for 20 minutes, just admire the really cool screen saver that came included in your DVD deck firmware.

Another interesting industry note is that a Chinese lamp mfr is looking to jump into the void, and has Philips worried enough to try to solve the supply issue before their lunch gets eaten. Go China!

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Interesting info Brandon...its great to have people like you participating on the board:T

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"