• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Calibration remove SDA ?

Hey duders

I wanna know something...I am thinking of buying that famous LG DvD player that upsamples...and maybe in the future buy a 5900 Denon if I really see a difference.....

here`s my question....

Right now I have a 120" screen 4:3 on my X1...AND I am sitting 12` away ops: ...It`s a High Power Da Lite 2.8 Gain....

I have screen door....Can you believe it? Neither can I ! :lol:

In all seriousness....If I calibrate and get a better DvD player will it be gone ?

Right now I only see it on pale colors and or whites....

Faces and rich graphics are perfect....

So...whatcha ya thinka ?

No wise cracks please!

Edit...In finding Nemo....It`s perfect....very little screen door....about the same as when I had a 100" Matte white.....
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Bam,
    The X1 has a native resolution of 800 x 600 pixels so even upsampling isn't going to improve things much. I can tell you with a 10 foot diagonal screen you need to sit farther away than 12 feet if you want the screen door to disappear. My NEC dlp is a native 1024 x 768 projecting on an 8.8 foot diagonal widescreen. I sit at approximately 14 feet and don't see SD, but if I move to within 10 or 11 feet I can easily see the pixel structure, and as you can see the NEC has a higher resolution than the X1.

The new dvd player will probably improve things a bit, and if the SD you are seeing now isn't bothering you, then maybe the new player is the way to go, but don't look for a magic fix, just a little improvement perhaps.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Thanks George!

Then again I am not sure :lol: Just kidding...

I have a lump in my stomach when I think about it....

I have to say though...WOW on 120"..It's freaking :E

On Finding Nemo.... :E

Any movie that is filmed poorly... :cry: really bad...
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Bam, a slight defocus should help...it's worth a try and costs nothing. It will smooth out the pixel structure ever so slightly.

Back up your seating....that's another free solution as well (provided you're not against the back wall or anything).
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Actually...if you calibrate you'll probably make screen door even more noticable. :lol: You'll still want to calibrate for colour, black/gray levels, brightness etc... after all that is done...do a very slight defocus and voila you should be happier. :T
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

You know, I was at Dell Computer last week and had to use one of their SVGA DLP projectors for my presentation. I have corrected eyesight of 20/15, and 800X600 drives me nuts becasue of visible pixelation/screen door, even with DLP. I won't even talk about the color reproduction, or lack of it with that particular Dell model.

The upscaling DVD players from LG, whether the Zenith or LG versions, do their best on native resolution displays (think CRT RPTV, or CRT FPTV). Some folks also like how they look on quarter HD displays (960X540), becuase apparently the combination of upscaling to 1080i then down converting to 960X540 works better than the internal upscaling from 480P to 540P; not hard to understand why. They also look pretty decent on some digital displays at 1280X720P, when running into the display at 1080i and down converting.

A native 800X600 display is really going to be limited to 480P resolution at best, so unless you have display upgrade plans for the near future, it may not pay you to get one of these players now, unless you just want to have on hand an upconverting on component player.

I'm very happy with the picture quality of mine, and you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me. But I'm using it at native resolution on CRT, too. It's something special in that mode, even compared with a good HTPC.

Regards,

Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"