X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Recalibrating a PJ after cataract surgery

On Tuesday I had cataract surgery on my left eye and had a new lens implant. This new lens has changed how I see color from the left eye and therefore has some affect on vision and how I perceive color when viewing a color picture with both eyes. The new lens pushes blue, so reds are pinkier and greens are wanting. The Doc says this is normal as the new lens implants have UV blockers or something to that effect. Watching a movie now causes me to see pinkier fleshtones and a pinkish tint to whites. So I had to make a few adjustments in the Gains and Bias. All I really had to do to get things back to normal ( for me, anyway) was give the green a little boost. I have only made this adjustment in one setting that I alone will use. When I have company/and or my wife, I go back to my old D65 setting.

I know most of you guys out there are younger than me and probably years away from cataract problems, but just wanted you to know that if you do have cataract surgery you may also have to recalibrate. A real bummer, isn't it.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 20 May 2004, 14:48 Thursday.
    My Homepage!
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

A little curious - If the new lens made you see projected images with these color changes, wouldn't the actual objects in the real world also suffer from the color changes?

So in time, won't the new color response of your vision become normal looking to you and require you to re-calibrate again back to your original settings?

I've had some retinal problems with my left eye, and at times, the color vision in that eye gives everything a washed-out, less saturated look. Lately it has returned to normal though. I tend to do color calibrations with only my right eye because of this.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Actually Brandon, everything changed. My white fridge looks whiter, but with a slight bluish look to it, so, yes I perceive color differently period. Now, over time this may change. In the meantime , though, I am only bothered by the fact that video images do not look right to me anymore.

Funny thing is, the Doc said that most people say they find colors more vibrant after the lens implant. And colors do become more vibrant. But this is not necessarily a good thing if you have been playing around with projectors for 15 years, like i have, and want natural looking black and white images for your old classical movie collection.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

George,

Give you eye and your brain time to adjust to the new implant.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

That sounds like good advice, Thomas.
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"