X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdad
    • Apr 2004

New Player in the Home Theater Game

Hello All!

I am a new guy. Just bought a infocus LP70. Any suggestions? I have the capability to take it back with no fee. Can someone suggest to me which is the best projector under $2000 and what type of screen. The PJ will be used for 90% movies and 10% work-related presentations--size is not important.

Thanks,

BigDad
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

BigDad,

The Sanyo PLV-Z2 has a great following, and at 1280 X 720p native resolution, it is great for HDTV.

Another projector due out soon is the Infocus 4805 which is expected to have the following specs, and cost under $1800:

16:9 aspect ratio
    854x480 native resolution DMD (new chip - not a masked SVGA DMD)
    4x color wheel (6 segment)
    Faroudja DCDi (FLI2310)
    2000:1 contrast @ 6500K video optimized settings
    750 lumens @ 6500K video optimized settings
    User controls for color gains and offsets, noise reduction, and chroma and luma sharpness
    DVI input with HDCP (M1-AD connector)
    3xRCA component input - accepts both interlaced and progressive signals
    12 volt screen trigger
    200W SHP lamp - 3000 hours - two power levels
    TI DDP2000 controller chip
    Based on the X2 platform (also introduced at CES)
    Optical system is optimized for the 16:9 DMD

-Dean.

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Dean!

I'm curious....750 lumens....are you aure....my X1 has 1100 lumens...

Just curious :W

Thanks a million!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Bam,manufacturer's statements on lumens can sometimes be misleading. I have seen higher lumen rated PJs that looked dimmer than some lower rated ones. Also, when the pj is calibrated properly to D6500 brightness takes a dip. So the new Infocus may have higher lumens at a higher color temp setting, but they are being possibly conservative by stating 750 lumens at the 6500 color temp setting.
        Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 28 April 2004, 11:06 Wednesday.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Yep, I agree with George. The lumens ratings are mostly taken to provide better projector stats, often for use as business projectors.

All of my projectors that I had calibrated for better movie picture quality took a hit in measured lumens output, with my 1500 Lumens D-ILA FPTV measuring about 850 Lumens after color calibration, grayscale tuning, and a magenta filter.

But I didn't visually notice the light loss even on a 180", 0.85 gain, perforated, Grayhawk screen. It just looked better to me. :T

As long as you have decent light control, it will be hard to notice a big difference in lumens output because your eyes automatically compensate for more or less light (up to a point).

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Case in point. The new JVC HD unit is rated at 500 lumens. I am a brightness junkie with an 80 FtL setup. Still thought the JVC looked bright enough when it was demoed for us. Albeit under complete light control in a professional screening area.

BB

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"