X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

Brightness on Z2

I realize that the lumen's ratings on projector's are very misleading, so I know that because one projector has 1500, and another has only 800, that it does not indicate a 100% improvement.

Here's my predicament...

I am looking to set up my first home theater system. I have decided on a projector for two reasons:
    HDTV
    Portability
    I am planning on watching DVD's and using console systems (XBOX using component, and future systems). The thing is, I would like to know how clear the Sharp Z2 is when using moderate background lighting. I set up a BenQ PB6100 at my church about 2 months ago, and I am pleased with the brightness at the given screen size, and with alot of ambient lighting. Therefore, I would think that the easiest comparison would be the that projector.

Does the Z2 output nearly the same light as the PB6100? I am not looking for a overly large scrren size when ambient light is present, so I can have as small a screen as necessary.

Will the Z2 serve my purposes? Thanks for the help,

Matthew 'Caveman' C
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

While Sanyo is "reasonably" honest in their lumen claims, and I do not really know how BenQ fares in that respect, at 800 and 1500 rated lumens respectively, I would guess that no, the Z2 is not as bright.

800 lumens in ambient light is going to look pretty poor unless you zoom the picture down to large TV size IMO. On as dark a surface as is practical.

Now at night when you go bigger and are looking for PQ, I'd personally prefer the Sanyo.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

One other comment, you are right one will not look twice as bright even given the lumen ratings were exactly accurate. This is because your eyes' response to light does not come out that linear in a subjective sense.

My touchy-feely estimate for the subjective difference in these two is that the BenQ would "look" 20-30% brighter if it in fact had twice the lumens. And that only in a side by side.

BB

Comment

• matthewryanc
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
        One other comment, you are right one will not look twice as bright even given the lumen ratings were exactly accurate. This is because your eyes' response to light does not come out that linear in a subjective sense.

My touchy-feely estimate for the subjective difference in these two is that the BenQ would "look" 20-30% brighter if it in fact had twice the lumens. And that only in a side by side.

BB
        I also realize that the two projectrs are rated diffrerently (data lumens vs video lumens), which has an effect on the numbers as well. Have you used a Z2 with some abmient light (description of setup... L shaped space, with light in bottom right tip of L, and projecting onto top part of L, in the direction of the light, so the wall projected upon has no direct light). I am fine with a 40" screen in this case, I am not asking for a 100" image in these conditions.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The other variable in the equation is of course the screen you choose.

Personally I'm not a fan of the gray screens, I think they screw up the whites (and so does heavy-hitter HT guru Bill Cushman ).

I've used a Sony 400Q (only 400 ANSI lumens) for years, and really like the 'retro-reflective' hi-gain screens with a 92"X53" image

Obviously YMMV.........

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Haven't used a Z2, I have a PLV70. I'm with Thomas on the screens, I have a 2.8 gain.

If you are zooming down to 40", you'll have a useable image under the conditions you describe. Wouldn't try to watch the nighttime parts of Castaway or anything, but for gaming/TV type stuff would be a pretty serviceable image.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I've had a 2.0 and 2.5 gain screens before and they can support a decent amount of incedent light and still provide a watchable picture as long as you don't make the image size too big.

With light control you can have a decent sized screen (96") even with a relatively low light output. My first and second projectors were CRT models which put out 140 and 225 lumens respectively, but with the high gain screens I could get a good looking picture up to around 120" with indirect room lighting, and digital projectors are MUCH brighter than that, especially zoomed way down to 40-60" on a high gain screen.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"