How safe is it to lift the ground on my projo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

How safe is it to lift the ground on my projo?

Hey guys,
    I have a ground loop hum in my system when I hook up my multi channel outputs from my DVD player to my Rotel RSP-1066(also if I run a s-video cable from my projo to my 1066)
    The projo has the 3 prong plug with the ground.When I temporarily plug the projo into an old surge protector with the ground pin broken off the system is silent again,no hum.
    The question I have is how dangerous is this to do on a permanent basis? Or is there any safe way to ground the projo internally or other??
    Help :?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Claude, I have heard of others breaking off the ground pin to eliminate hum, but it was usually their receiver or amp. I honestly don't know what danger this would be to the PJ, but the things cost so dang much money that I myself wouldn't take any chances. I only ever had a hum problem once and discovered that some cables were in contact with the power cord. Once I moved them apart the hum disappeared.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

Thanks for the input George.The cables are fine,that was one of the first things I checked.It may take awhile but I will eventually get it figured out. :?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Personally, I wouldn't by-pass the ground. If something wiggled loose inside the projector and touched any part of the metal on the projector case, the next time you touch the projector could be your last. At the very least, you'll have very frizzy hair.

With electricity, I say bite the bullet and get the help of a qualified electrician (even at their ridiculous hourly rates).

I'm less worried about the equipment than I am about your saftey.

My 0.02.

"A RONSTER!"
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Claude D D
          • Jan 2003

Thanks Gordon,I feel the same way.A dedicated circuit may be installed in the not to distant future.
          Seeing as I only have the problem when I want to listen to a SACD and I only have 4 SACD's it's not a real big deal.I just hook up the multi channel outs from my dvd/sacd player to my pre amp and unplug my projo.Then disconnect the multi channel out and plug the projo back in to watch movies or listen to regular cd's.Luckily I have very easy access to the rear of my gear.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

How's your cable management Claude? You might try disconnecting and reconnecting following basic rules laid out by me in Home Theater section a while back. Group power cords, video, audio, etc...

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

Hey Doug,
              Thanks for the input,but it's not a cable management issue.
              Hey Post #200.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"