X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

AE-500

Don't know if this has been covered already, or how soon it will tranlate to the U.S., but one the subwqy here in Tokyo, there are posters advertising the new Panasonic AE-500. Haven't made it over to Akihabra yet, I'll look for it when I do.

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I wonder if the 500 will have full hd lcd panels ( 1280 x 720 ) ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dustin B
      • Nov 2003

AE500 is 1280x720. Lumens, contrast are both up from the AE300. Smooth screen tech is supposed to be improved as well. Can be purchased form Japan right now and should be avialable in the US in a month or three.

Should street in the US for somewhere around $2k I believe.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

My Home Theatre Page & My DIY Sonosub
      Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

That would probably make it a $3000 PJ in Canada. This could be a popular projector both here and south of the border.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dustin B
          • Nov 2003

The projector market in Canada from a number of manuctures is fubar. The AE300 still lists for I believe $3600CDN and the best price you can find will be $3300. It also just became available from Canadian dealers 4-5 months ago.

You can currently get the AE300 from the US for $1499USD (total cost to a Canadian on that, shipping, duty and tax, would be <$2500CDN).

The AE500 won't be available from Canadian dealers until sometime in the summer of 2004 (unless Panasonic Canada wises up) and I wouldn't be surprised if the list at that time will be over $4k.

Panasonic Canada is basically screwing their dealers as it makes no sense to buy them from a Canadian dealer.

But in January the AE500 should be a $3KCDN projector if ordered from the US.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

My Home Theatre Page & My DIY Sonosub
          Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Sony is just as bad when it comes to marketing PJs in Canada. When the HS 10 was available for $2999. in the US, Sony Canada was retailing it for $5999. I believe they have since dropped the msrp to $4999, but most Canadians were buying their HS 10s from the US and paying just under $4000. The HT 12 was selling for $12K in Canada but could be had for about $8500K CDN if ordered from the US. Both Panasonic and Sony better get their act together. Front projection is starting to take a strong foothold in Canada and companies like Sanyo, NEC, Infocus, etc are going to be the winners.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"