My new PT-AE500 is up and looks fantastic!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

My new PT-AE500 is up and looks fantastic!

Well I just took posession of my AE500 and words cant express how impressed I am with the image it displays. My travels down the road of "perfect video" first found me buying a Samsung DLP RPTV. I absolutly hated it. It was far too bright and the picture was cluttered with digital artifacts. To say the least, I returned it.

Enter... Front Projection

I bought this projector being a tad sceptical of what it would look like being that I didn't even like a 50 inch digital image. I must say... wow is the only word for it. At 95 inches diagonal it is about 10 times better than the samsung was. It is a much easier picture to watch for extended periods of time. I am very impressed with the colour saturations. The colours are a lot brighter and more defined than I expected them to be. Keep in mind, I am still projecting onto a cream coloured wall and I am already thrilled. :T I am not much of a reviewer for FP since this is my first venture down this path and I have very little to base it on.

The blacks could be a lot darker but all in all... very much acceptable. I knew when I bought it that it wouldn't be as good as a CRT but wanted that large image. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make. The brightness level is great. I find even with a bit of ambient light, the image is still good. I am experiencing some green and sometimes red scan lines through the image when displaying a progressive scan via DVD. I am not sure what it could be from but I have a friend bringing his AE-500 over tonight and we will so some A/B testing. If it is the projector it is going back but I assume that it will be the cheap component cables I have hooked up to it. It may also be the video board in my Rotel RSP-1066. I will narrow it down tonight and post my findings.

Except for this minor anoyance... I am VERY pleased with the image. As soon as I have some time I will post some screen shots of it (for what they are worth).

Thanks for all of your help in making my purchase!

Matt
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats :T Enjoy your watching :P

Carada has some pretty nice, pretty affordable screens, have a look-see, the link's at the bottom of the page With one of those the picture will look even better than the one on your cream walls and be a lot easier to calibrate properly to boot

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• MattCXII
      • Feb 2004

Problem solved!

It was neither the projector nor my RSP-1066. It ended up being a shit piece of component cable from Monster that I was using as an interconnect between the DVD and the Preamp. My long run of component to the FP seems to work out great... damn that Monster cable!

Aud19: I have a DaLite Permwall on order. 1.1 gain I believe. I would have looked at the screen you suggested but I have a DaLite dealer right in Kitchener and it just makes it so much more convienient to order through them.

Matt

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Da-Lite makes a good screen, Matt. I've been using a Damat 1 gain Da-Lite for several years.

Glad to hear the cable problem was solved. Bad cables can really mess things up.

Here's to many happy hours of movie watching on your 500.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

Thanks George,

Now that the cable problem is fixed and I know it is not the PJ I am so happy with the image. I can't wait to get the Permwall up and see how it improves the image.

Matt

Comment

• infdi
            • Jun 2004

Cool.
            How much did you pay for that projector? and where did you get it from?
            Hard to find Projector stores...

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Congrats on your new purchase.
              Glad you like it.
              I had my first experience with FPTV back in February
              when I set-up my Matinee 2 HD (Same specs as the 500)
              I am very happy with it and very thrilled
              to be able to watch movies on such a big screen.

Enjoy!!
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Congrats Matt! Glad someone here owns one of those now. I think the 500 is very comparable to the Z2/2HD with specs and possibly price too so it will interesting to hear more about your experience with it.

Oh... and for those really good quality cables at a reasonable price check out CatCables.

Comment

• RickS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Matt, Congrat's on the new projector! I have had a Panny 300 and now a 500 for quite awhile. If you have a chance to try HDTV through your DVI input you will be amazed at how good the projector can be. The component is just OK compared to the RGB or DVI input.

Again Congrats.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"