X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sloan
    • Sep 2003

First Projector

I new to the board so I could use all the help I can get.

This will be my first projector. I have been reading a little here and there but still don't have a handle on it all. THis PJ will be for a dedicated home theater setup. I will only watch HD sources and I want a wide screen format..

Other than that I completely open to suggestions. I have been looking at the BenQPE8700 Projector. Good or Bad??

Help

Thanks

sloan
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sloan, welcome to the forum!

You might want to start with a budget for it. If you've got a particular amount in mind to spend, then start a list of availables in that range. Be sure to see what's on the horizon, if a 1 month wait would produce a much better set of choices.

I'd also recommend going to projector central and start reading and learning about them. It's good to have a basis of information on dlp, lcd, crt. That way you can begin to see what projector type may suite you best. Also, if you can demo some pj's would be great. This can often times help you to narrow your focus. (again, no pun intended)

Some things to consider?

1. ambient light in room, or completely controlled? (higher lumens required for ambient light)

2. Are you bothered by screen door effect of LCD or maybe the rainbow effect of dlp?

3. Throw distance of projector, relative to your installation to achieve the desired size picture.

4. Noise db rating of projector. (go for less than 30 for the quitest projectors)

5. Screen type, brand, size. higher gain means brighter picture, but less black blacks. grey/silver screens produce blacker blacks, but sometimes, at a cost to the whites. Check http://www.carada.com for one possible source of custom constructed screens at better prices than many of the more well known screens.

6. Of course, reliability, warranty, bulb life, contrast ratio, adjustments and features, etc... all come into play.

Remember, you don't have to spend as much as you used to to get a nice home theater experience. So, don't let a salesman tell you otherwise.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

In regards to the BenQ 8700 specifically, I've heard good things about it already. I think the price was $6,000, is that right? I'm not sure if it's actually shipping yet or not.

You may want to check out other discussion threads in this section about other projectors, especially new models coming out like the Panasonic AE500, Sony HS-20, Sanyo Z2, Infocus X1, etc. Lots of good, new, stuff out there with prices coming down.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Lex made a pretty good checklist. I love DLP, but it is not for everybody. Having owned RPTVs, crt FPs, lcd and now dlp, they all have pros and cons. See as many demos as you can. As Chris pointed out, there are many great bargains out there today in lcd and dlp models.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"