X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Got $20K? Get SXRD...

Under the category of, "If you have to ask, it's too much".....

Of course, it's sounds even worse in Yen, something like 2.4 million...

Sony SXRD FPTV

Display Panel : 0.78 SXRD Approximately 622 ten thousand pixels
    (2,073,600 pixel) x 3
    Lamp : Pure xenon lamp
    Projection picture : 40" - 300" (16:9)
    Color System : NTSC/PAL/SECAM/NTSC4.43/PAL-M/PAL-N (automatic/manual
    change)
    Corresponding signal : 15kHz video signal and DTV signal
    (525i/525p/1125i/750p) / Computer signal (fH: 19 - 72 k Hz and
    fV:48 - 92 Hz)
    Video input : Composite video × 1 and S video × 1
    Component input : 1 (3RCA)
    RGB/Component input : 1 (5BNC)
    DVI-D Input : 1
    HDMI input : 1
    Power source : AC100-240V (50/60Hz)
    Power consumption : Max 980W (stand-by mode : 7.8W)
    External size : 597 (width) x 201 (height) x 745 (depth) mm
    Weight : 40kg

Front View

SXRD Panel

SXRD Xenon lamp cooler assembly

Side/Rear, with lamp exhaust (a.k.a. room heater)

;x( Xenon lamp.... these guys ARE serious!

Pretty Star Wars looking, isn't it? Wouldn't look out of place in the Imperial Senate on Coruscant. Maybe in Palpatine's office... :W

Did you notice the weight? 40 kg? ~88 lb? That's pushing small CRT projector weight turf- you won't be carrying one of these around!

Start saving your twenties... I don't think nickels and dimes will do... :E

Mama, mama, used NSX, or SXRD? Used NSX, or SXRD? Oh dear...

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, I thought SXRD was coming in around $80,000. Regardless, still too rich for my blood.

But drool... :drool: I would kill for a PJ like that.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Where's the pictures of the $11K 36" tube TV from the same product line?

Thing looks like a Romulan warbird to me. Not that I don't want one.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

88 lbs, eh ? well as the saying goes, " If it's heavy, it must be expensive."

By the time SXRD is available in my budget range, my prostate will probably have done me in.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

I haven't heard anything definite on the SXRD pricing yet. The Sony salesmen at the A/V shows would only say that the SXRD was going to be the replacement for the $36K G90 CRT projector.

Personally, I like how it looks but on the down side I do wonder what the bulb life/price will be with a Xenon bulb. Xenon certainly has better light quality than UHP, but I have a Xenon bulb in my JVC G15 FPTV and the bulb life was 1000hrs, and the replacement cost was $750 ea. 8O

Still, from another perspective, the only other 1920 X 1080p front projector available to buy is the JVC QXGA D-ILA (LCOS) unit that was priced at $225,000 a piece. So relatively $20K-$35K could be quite a bargain. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

I'm with the crowd that thinks the U.S. price will be higher than the converted Japanese price of $20K.

BB

Comment

• Energeezer
              • Sep 2002

haven't heard anything definite on the SXRD pricing yet. The Sony salesmen at the A/V shows would only say that the SXRD was going to be the replacement for the $36K G90 CRT projector.
              But Dean
              Will it perform with the G90?
              Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

Actually I'm betting that the SXRD WILL perform comparably (or bette than) most local theaters when fed with a quality HD signal.

Comparing against the G90 relates to the value that you pace on ultimate black level (better than film) or edge-to-edge clarity and brightness.

No doubt that even with 2000:1 contrast, the SXRD will not have the a perfectly setup G90's blacks, and conversely, the G90 cannot begin to compare with the brightness of the SXRD, and unless professionally calibrated and converged, it doesn't have the resolvable resolution either.

I had the CRT predecessor to the G90, and sold that for my JVC LCOS G15, with "only" 1365 X 1024 resolution. So you can bet that if I had the choice to get either the SXRD or G90 (the standard for the best of the CRT FPTVs) that I would buy the SXRD FPTV. 88lbs beats 200lbs++, and digital gets one step closer to pushing CRT out of the picture.

-Dean.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Well, since "this" model is part of the new Qualia line, it's a reasonable assumption that it will be priced for what the market will bear- witness the pricing on the other memebers of this family- including the rather pricey two megapixel camera.

Esthetically, I think this is a winner, and the heatsinking/cooling arrangement for the Xenon bulb looks pretty dang spiffy... :W

As Dean points out, Xenon bulbs have the best spectra, but UHP bulbs are cheaper and last longer, but they need to be filtered to balance the color spectrum- this gives up some of the bang for the buck in the lumens department.

Though there's been a lot of grousing about the price, $20K (a direct conversion of the Japanese price) would be a bargain for this kind of build quality, and performance matching or beating a G90. Reportedly, though, Qualia products will only be built to order for the customer, and carried by a very limited number of dealers- this is a "botique" line.

What I expect we'll see pretty soon (announced by end of 2003) is SXRD in front and rear projection with more mundane build quality, lower cost bulb technology, etc, at price points at a premium over their existing offerings, but still reasonable- my guess? ~ $10K for RPTV, ~ 12 - 15K for FPTV. Yeah, doesn't make much sense that the smaller FPTV box would be more expensive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is- FPTV is perceived as more "up market"; RPTV more "mainstream", and Sony may not be able to command a substantial premium over similar offerings announced or available from Toshiba and Mitsubishi in the RPTV market.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Energeezer
                    • Sep 2002

Dean
                    Well put. You can probably tell I am a huge advocate of CRT at the moment. It is hard to argue against the fact that BANG FOR BUCK USED CRT STILL RULES. Having said that there is no doubt in my mind that the new techs will take over and I'm sure some of the current state of the art can give crt a run and in some respects better it. The problem for me is that I can afford a $5000.00 CRT (that will get a good NEC XG or even an Marquee 9500 with no wear tubes) that will blow the bulb out of any digital for that cash as far as light controlled HT application is concerned.
                    As I stated earlier digital will be king there is no doubt and for that reason I love to see these threads. I know that some day i'll read a thread like this about a new PJ that will better ANY and All CRT.
                    In the meantime I'll stick to my XGLC and all its shortcomings in terms of size and setup but my eyes are open to the digitals and i look forward to the day when my 5K brings me a small portable PJ with the image I crave.
                    If there is any life left in the XG at that point I'll dump it as a classic and join you in digital heaven
                    Keep me posted
                    Steve

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

Energeezer,

I think that CRT vs. digital FPTV reminds me of the difference between owning an older Mercedes, compared to a new Honda Accord.

There's no denying that the CRT FPTVs were built as professional, quality, $$$ projectors. And they can be bought for a tiny fraction of their original sales price. Plus with some technical skill and research, they can be setup to provide stunning picture quality.

I still admire CRT FPTVs for their great picture capability (as they are the pinnacle of CRT technology) evolved over decades. 8)

But the components required to build a digital projector that has a roughly comparable picture cost LESS than the lens optics alone on some of the CRT FPTVs. So the price-performance of digital FPTV (along with improving picture quality) is getting better every day.

-Dean.

Comment

• Energeezer
                        • Sep 2002

Dean and all
                        Come with me. Come with me to the dark side.
                        LOL
                        On an unrelated note. Why does it take so long for my PC to load the reply screen. I'd say about 3 minutes while the file/picture loading info at the bottom left goes crazy.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"