X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sony HS-10

Well, I finally got to se an HS-10 in action this weekend in Dallas, after the Dallas Home Remodel show. I went by a shop called Starpower on my way home, and caught them for about 30-45 minutes as they were closing. I definitely liked the HS-10. I couldn't see any screendoor, and the fan noise I didn't find all that bad--nothing that would distract me during a movie I think. I think it would just fade into the background noise like my computer noise right now as I'm typing. I don't even notice it's there until I consciously think about it.

When comparing the HS-10 to the VPL-12 and another DLP they had in the room next door (can't remember which one) I could see a little of what people were talking about with the black level and color saturation, but it wasn't anything huge. And they pointed out the depth of vision, where on the DLP things looked more three dimensional than the HS-10. But again, nothing huge, especially for that price. They didn't have one in stock, but I'm tempted once I'm a little further along in my theater project. HDnet was fantastic on the HS-10, showing very clear details on a 110" screen. This may be my way to go!

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • SayersWeb
    • Dec 2002

The HS10 is a main competitior for the L300 given that they are relatively close in price. The HS10 does support HDCP which may become a requirement in years to come.

The problem with the HS10 is that Sony has pulled them, along with their HS2, from the market due to lamp issues. Some owners have reported problems requiring them to cycle the power several times before the lamp will light. There's no official work when they will be available again, but best estimates are 60 days or more. There seems to be quite a few on backorder, so it may take a while to get one once they are shipping again.

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• pjenkins
      • Jan 2003

just an fyi, there has been no confirmation of any problem with the HS10 at the factory. the going thought/rumor is that the demand was highly underestimated and they have ramped production to match...

On the machine's merits, it does, indeed, look great for a mid-$2000 machine. It isn't on the level of the Sharp DLP, the Sony 12HT, or other higher end machine, but it is also 1/2 to 1/5 the cost. The HS10 and the Panasonic 300 are the best sub-$3k projectors right now, the Panasonic the best sub-$2k, and the Sharp PLV-Z1 and Infocus X1 are neck and neck in the $1500 range...

All in all a nice time to be shopping for a budget projector!!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

This past weekend, I was talking with a friend who happens to review projectors for a major HT publication (it is "Wide"ly read and helps you "screen" what's going on when you are "Review"ing the HT marketplace.) :>) He says he can't see buying anything these days but one of these relatively "cheap" projectors (all the ones mentioned in this thread so far are "the usual suspects") :>) since the technology is moving so fast and standards are in such flux. At these prices, it is probably better to buy a new one than to bother repairing a four-to-five year old one that is starting to sputter, even though the older one cost considerably more in its day.

He specifically pointed out the Sony HS-10 as being a terrific value for its performance and features. When available, as you already are aware, they are being heavily discounted off list price various places. Of course you could spend 5 times as much and get marginally better black levels, etcetera, but unless you are a full time movie critic or a Hollywood technical director, or light your cigars with $100 bills, why spend the extra dough when you'll probably want to be replacing it (regardless of whatever "it" is) in a couple of years anyway?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Well your friend makes a good point, Burke. Your friend wouldn't be Mr. Cushman now by any chance, would it ? It was his intimate review of the Sony VPL 400Q that led me to buy it and I have never been sorry.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• SayersWeb
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pjenkins
            just an fyi, there has been no confirmation of any problem with the HS10 at the factory. the going thought/rumor is that the demand was highly underestimated and they have ramped production to match...
            That's good to hear. Maybe they will be available sooner than later. That would make a bunch of people very happy!

It's a bit sad, though not surprising, that the factory has not heard about the lamp problem. It certainly exists since so many owners at the AVS forum have experienced it.

Sony has a history of not "officially" recognizing technical problems with their products. I've experienced this with one of their higher-end ES line receivers, as well as with a car audio head unit, just in the last several months. Sony won't acknowledge that a problem exists with either unit even though scores of owners have documented it for them.

I've been a big supporter of Sony for many years, but lately I hesitate to purchase or recommend their products. The terrible experience I had with the HS1 projector was the last straw for me.

Comment

• pjenkins
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              Well your friend makes a good point, Burke. Your friend wouldn't be Mr. Cushman now by any chance, would it ? It was his intimate review of the Sony VPL 400Q that led me to buy it and I have never been sorry.
              I thought Greg Rogers did the HS10 review.. I put my money on it being him

Just saw the HS10 properly set up today and compared to the 12HT. Sony has a problem, the HS10 is VERY close to the 12HT. The 12HT is better, no doubt, but not by a huge margin. 12HT has better blacks, and less screendoor at 1x screen width, but at 1.2x screen width, screen door goes away on the HS10 and the only advantage of the 12HT looks to be better blacks (this is with both properly calibrated and showing the same scene on the same screen..)

oh, btw, Starpower got 2 HS10s in today while I was at the store. The manager "came down" to MSRP, lucky me. I'll keep waiting on my $2135 CDW HS10

Comment

• SayersWeb
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pjenkins
                I'll keep waiting on my $2135 CDW HS10
                Whoa! That's a great price!!

Will they check out the HS10 prior to shipping to you? When you do get it, look closely for dead pixels. the HS1 I received had over 14 dead pixels out of the box.

Please post a review (and screen shots if possible) when you get it. That's a great deal!

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Wow, that's a lot of dead pixels. One or two is more typical, on the more expensive PJs like the 10HT/11HT/12HT etc.

What do you want to bet that Sony will say this is "normal"? Are the pixels near the edge of the screen or the middle? What color(s)? Blue pixels don't tend to show up as readily as green ones.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Pjenkins: You are correct, Greg Rogers did the HS 10 review, but in the same issue Bill Cushman did a review of the Piano. I threw out Bill Cushman because he is very intimate with Sony PJs. I believe he owned both the VPL 400 and the 10HT and could tweak these suckers like you wouldn't believe.

So Burke, is it Greg or Bill ?

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• pjenkins
                      • Jan 2003

found a HS10 in stock today and broke down and ordered

ships Monday, finally be back watching movies next weekend (yeah!!)

Comment

• pjenkins
                        • Jan 2003

Been watching my HS10, what a great picture, right out of the box even

Here is the home-made mount I did, total cost $16.60 (which included the black spray paint, I usually have some of that, but had run out, otherwise the cost would have been around $10 )

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Pjenkins -- looks like you've found a really good way to handle HS10 ceiling installation economically! Thanks for sharing those pics of the custom mount and your HS10. (And congrats on actually being able to get your hand on one.) :>)

Originally posted by Geoge Bellefontaine
                          So Burke, is it Greg or Bill ?
                          While this may be "old news" by now, it was Bill Cushman, Sony projector expert extraordinaire, (heck -- projector expert, period), who recommended the HS10 to me earlier this year.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Bill Cushman... ahhh, I was right. He isw one smart PJ dude.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Yeah, Bill's a cool guy- I had a few conversations with him about tweaking the Sony projectors back when I had a 400Q; he was also very enthusiastic about the VPL-W10HT when it was introduced. I imagine at this point he must be salivating at the thought of getting his hand on an SXRD projector someday!

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Cool homemade mount there Pjenkins. You shouldn't have any overheating problems with that one! Maybe you should start a business selling those!

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                My HT Site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Neat mount, Paul.

My Homepage!
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"