X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

RPTV & FP OWNERS

How many of you out there do your own calibrations such as convergence, white balance, etc.?
    I own a crt front projector, and a Sony VPL400 lcd front projector. There is no ISF techies anywhere near where I live so I have had to learn to do many things myself.The hardest part is adjusting the white balance,Gain and Bias to get a good greyscale. I don't own any instruments to do this properly so I have had to rely on setting these as closely as possible by eye. I like old B&W movies so a good greyscale is important.
    Convergence was also difficult to learn (on the crt)and in the early days it used to trake me 3 hours or so. Now I do a tune up every 6 or 7 months and it only takes 20 minutes or so.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Huskerduck
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

I do my own,

I hired an ISF calibrationist 1 time and followed his every move for 8 hours and learned a bunch.

there is also Hometheaterspot.com and AVSForum that are fantastic for the home tweaker

Ive done it all from lens stripping to duvatayne on the entiere cabinet

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I do my own, but then I got my feet wet building Heathkit front projection TV kits (two), and setting up some friends for them (years and years ago). Also did a number on the Toshiba RPTV which currently resides in my daughter's room. Some of her friends do ask why the movies look better on her set than the RPTV's they have at home!

Most lay people *expect* RPTV's to look fuzzier than front views, because the picture is bigger, and because even in the stores, most aren't setup worth warm spit on convergence, much less anything else.

BTW, I've found service manuals are a must, IMO, for the do it yourselfer. Guessing isn't really good enough. For the $40 to $70 bucks they cost, they're worth every penny, in my experience so far.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"