X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristianT
    • Sep 2001

Sony Trinitron Screen Distortion

Hello,

I purchased a Sony KV-35S66 35" Trinitron tv in the summer of 2000 to replace my old 20" antique. I couldn't afford the HD RPTV that I wanted at the time, so I felt that this tv was a good choice for the money while I waited (and saved) for the prices to come down on HD sets.

Anyway, until tonight I have been generally pretty satisfied with the tv, other than the built-in speakers which are horrible. I turned on the tv to watch the National Geographic special on MSNBC to find a green tint on the right and left sides of the screen. It starts about 3" from the left and right sides, and curves toward the center of the screen another 3 inches or so. I tried resetting the factory color settings to no avail. It looks similar to the distortion you would get from having unshielded speakers too close to the tv, so I removed my Klipsch center channel from the top just in case this could have been the problem. Nothing changed. This distortion hasn't been there before tonight. It just started all of the sudden.

I have three questions. Does anyone have any suggestions I could try to fix the problem to keep from having to deal with warranty hassles? Does anyone know the standard Sony warranty length on this tv? And, do you think I will have any trouble getting the tv warranteed since I bought it from Montgomery Wards before they filed bankruptcy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Christian
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hi,Christian,
    I had a 25 inch color tv a few years back that caught a problem similar to yours.I was told it was from placing my unsheilded speakers too close to the tv. Even when I removed the speakers the color distortion was still there. I had to end up having the tv degaussed. However, I thought newer tvs had auto degaussing, so my old problem may not be yours.Looks like you'll have to have a service call. If the tv is still under warranty, any authorized Sony service depot should be able to provide service.
    Good luck.
    George

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"