Front projection done right w/ low ceiling?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnoble
    • Mar 2001

Front projection done right w/ low ceiling?

Hi, all.

I've got a basement with a fairly low ceiling (7'). I'm looking (in the future) at getting a projector and a nice screen that can retract into the ceiling.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put the speakers -- especially the center speaker, w/r/t the screen.

I don't really want a perforated screen, based on the comments I've heard in various places about the patterns being evident when used with and LCD projector.

So, how bad is it to have the center below the screen? With the center and both mains at, say, the same level as the bottom of the screen, will everything seeem "off" and dialogue not really coming from the screen? Is there a creative alternative I'm missing?

Thanks for your thoughts,

j
    j
  • Mike V
    • Jan 2001

I would think that with some angleing and maybe some volume correction you would have no problems whatsoever with the cc below the screen. Depending on the size of your screen, the height of the CC can be adjusted with the height of a stand.

I also have 7' ceilings, i plan on using a fixed screen, so i will have no choice but to put the CC below the screen.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

With a motorized screen you have only one option (since perf'ed screen is out) and that's below the screen, tilted up to bring the acoustic center to ear level.
      What type of projector are you planning, crt or digital?
      One other thought, supposedly Stewart's cineperf screen is much better than the other perforated screens.

Comment

• jnoble
        • Mar 2001

This is still a few months to a year out, but I'm planning on a motorized screen (because this is somewhat of a multi-purpose room) and a 10HT (or whatever replaces it) type projector.

j
        j

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I have a fixed wall screen with the L,C,R mounted below the screen and angled up slightly. My receiver allows me to customize volume, distance,etc. My ceiling is 7 ft also. I have a Sony VPL400 LCD projector mounted high on a shelf at the very back of the room.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

The nice thing about a digital projector is it's small enough that you can mount it on a seven foot ceiling, built a hushbox around it and still have a six foot clearance

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"