X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Time to move on or not?

Well.......my 60" Sony SXRD 1080P RPTV is complaining that I need another lamp replacement and I'm wondering if it's time to move on? I paid $2300 bucks for this TV and have to admit, I like the picture just fine (looks better than most flat panels I'm seeing nowadays!) . I dunno.......It would kill me to plop this great TV to the curb because probably nobody would buy it. Personally, I like 1080P just fine but if I bought a new TV, it would likely be another 1080P or 4K set but certainly not OLED for price reasons. A new lamp for this TV is less than $100 bucks so I guess I'm asking what you would do in this case? This was the last Sony RPTV they made before switching to flat panel. Sound off folks!!

I would absolutely need a ATSC digital tuner in a new set if I went that route and I hear that less and less of them are coming with a tuner for DTV. That would be a deal breaker for me absolutely!:x

Let me know your thoughts?
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

If you're happy with the set, get a new bulb. At 100$, seems like a no-brainer. If it were 500$, I'd recommend a new TV but, as long as you're pleased with the PQ, why not go with a new bulb?

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Dan, it is a no-brainer to me, too.......

you are happy with what you have........

$100 vs the cost of a new TV......

i say keep some money in your pocket & just get the new bulb...
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I'd wait for OLED to come down in price before buying new. I too would recommend ~$100 over the cost of a replacement set so long as you're happy with the picture.
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Didn't you just replace the lamp?

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
            Didn't you just replace the lamp?
            Not really.......I've been watching this latest bulb for quite a long time now (Hours wise) but lately when I start it up, it's telling me that the bulb needs to be replaced soon. This is probably more of a 'time' 'clock' thing rather than a performance thing because the picture still looks fine to me.

It's just an 'itch' thing for me really. With 65" 1080P- 4K sets running in around $1-1.5K now I'm kinda' thinking that an upgrade might be in order with equal, no interest payments over 2-3 years...... painless!! I mean, I paid $2300 BUCKS FOR THIS DAMN TV !!! I dunno.......I would absolutely have to find a new home for my beloved SXRD Sony because it would be a crime to toss it to the corner when it works perfectly fine. Sigh..........

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

You'll never recoup a "loss" in that sense--my living room TV is a 13 year old SDTV (a good one, but still). It's 32" 4:3 Sony CRT and I paid nearly 1900$ in 2003 for it (around 2300$ today). No one would take it today, or just about, even for free. It will stay until it stops working (the deal in the household is I get to upgrade the "cave" every once in a while, but as my wife has ZERO interest in A/V gear--she'd be happy with the 13" CRT she had when we were first going out and, even today, listens to the music channels on cable via the TV's internal speakers, despite the fact I have a very nice 2 channel setup hooked into the cable box--"her" TV will stay until it dies).

Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade, but if the "itch" is weak, AND you like your current TV, then waiting for OLEDs to come down in price (will probably become reasonable in the 65" range when your next bulb is due for replacement) is a viable option. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah we're finally down below 3k for a 65" so it's getting pretty tempting for me.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

We're not so lucky north of the border. That'd get you a 55". Barely (as in left over stock from last year).

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Best buy had the current 65" on black friday for 2800.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

One thing that really annoys me is the proliferation of bulbs available at Amazon out there. I can get one for as little as $40 bucks and they go up to $160 bucks. Some of them say OEM but may not be. When I look at people's stupid reviews I get mixed results. Some of them love the bulb (same bulb) and others just whine and cry. I'm not convinced that spending more money is going to get me a real OEM bulb because people cry about those bulbs too.

TV and bulb # are KDS60A2020 Lamp # XL5200

This one looks promising.......

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Can you order through Sony, or a Sony Authorized Repair center or something? Replacement lamps are extremely hard to get a real one without going through the proper chains. Sadly using a non OEM bulb can have huge negative effects on picture quality.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

According to projector central this place is supposed to be highly reputable.

Projector Lamp Replacements with Genuine Original Projector Bulbs Inside. Live inventory with lowest prices and same day shipping guaranteed.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

We get all our customer bulbs from them. Good place.

Dan, did you reset the lamp timer when you swapped the bulb the last time?

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
                              We get all our customer bulbs from them. Good place.

Dan, did you reset the lamp timer when you swapped the bulb the last time?

Kevin D.
                              Hey Kevin,

Come to think about it, I don't think I did reset the timer last time. I think I'm going to order from these guys because that's where I ordered last time and the bulb worked great.

Projector Lamp Source Canada buying guide provides Canadians seeking bulb replacement information and a comparison pricing guides for front projector lamps and rear projection TV lamps.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"