• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

OLED Production

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/21/kateeva-oled-tv-inkjet-printer

Pretty sweet, it'd be nice to get some big OLED displays into mass production.

Even though California startup Kateeva demonstrated it could print OLED displays way back in 2010, the printer it used was a prototype meant strictly for show and tell. The age of printed OLED TVs might finally be upon us however, as the company recently unveiled the YIELDJet, a machine it's calling the "world's first inkjet printer engineered from the ground up for OLED mass production." The machine is quite an impressive affair, comprising a shifting slab capable of handling glass or plastic sheets big enough for six 55-inch displays along with custom print heads designed to emit teeny tiny OLED pixels.Why is this a big deal? Due to the oxygen and moisture-hating nature of OLED ingredients, current OLED televisions are built with tricky vacuum evaporation and shadow masking techniques that are too inefficient and wasteful to be inexpensive. The YIELDJet, on the other hand, prints the LEDs in a pure nitrogen chamber to avoid those problems, plus it promises better film coating uniformity as well. This, Kateeva said, will hopefully result in OLED TVs that won't cost an arm and a leg yet still look stunning when hung on your living room wall. Combined with Sony and Panasonic's separate efforts to mass-produce the stellar-looking sets, we certainly hope that day comes sooner rather than later.
    -Chuck
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

That's interesting, pretty much just a big CNC Router but with a print head attached to it.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Thank goodness...been waiting to hear positive news on OLED. It's been a slow go...

Hopefully this is another reason Panasonic is vacating plasma. Hopefully affordable OLED is going to soon be a reality.
      Jason

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Saw a couple of competing OLED sets:

Samsung's 105" 5,120 x 2,160 21:9 TV (not sure how I feel about the curved screen just yet)

and LG's similar one:

Didn't see prices, probably because they're insane
        -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Huh... pretty cool.

I think I'm actually going to make it to CES in a couple weeks for the first time. I'll keep an eye out there for new shtuff.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by impala454
            Saw a couple of competing OLED sets:
            Didn't see prices, probably because they're insane
            Those flagship sets are neat and all (I love the concept of curved screen myself). But where are the mass market sets...?:unsure: The continuing lack of viable sets for the masses is making me nervous. By the time I'm able to get a new set in a few years I damn well hope LCD is not my only remaining affordable choice :rant:

Originally posted by Chris D
            Huh... pretty cool.

I think I'm actually going to make it to CES in a couple weeks for the first time. I'll keep an eye out there for new shtuff.
            Hopefully you can report back some 42"-65" sets that are somewhat within the realm of affordability due to be out this year...
            Jason

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Really it depends on your definition of affordable. I hate to say but I don't see anything changing for a while. So long as they can make money selling what they currently have, there's no incentive to bring in something new.
              -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Really it depends on your definition of affordable. I hate to say but I don't see anything changing for a while. So long as they can make money selling what they currently have, there's no incentive to bring in something new.
                Competition?
                Jason

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Competition for what? Right now it seems like it's more of a LCD size competition. At least in the stores I've been in. It's very normal now to enter an electronics store and see 70-80" LCDs as the "top dog". There's no incentive for Joe Sixpack to walk in and buy a $10,000 80" OLED when he can buy a $3,000 80" LCD. Joe doesn't care, he'll still have the biggest TV in a block.

edit: Not to mention "thinness" :facepalm:

edit2: we need a :facepalm: smiley
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well I think OLED will get big when it's cheap enough to make huge profits on. LCD profits are rather small now days, so there is definitely incentive to come out with something new.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Competition for what? Right now it seems like it's more of a LCD size competition. At least in the stores I've been in. It's very normal now to enter an electronics store and see 70-80" LCDs as the "top dog". There's no incentive for Joe Sixpack to walk in and buy a $10,000 80" OLED when he can buy a $3,000 80" LCD. Joe doesn't care, he'll still have the biggest TV in a block.

edit: Not to mention "thinness" :facepalm:

edit2: we need a :facepalm: smiley
                      Oh I don't disagree. That's why I'm worried that OLED will just become the latest SED tech to die a slow death due to it's inability to remotely compete at J6P price level and never get the market penetration and hence volume manufacturing advantages needed for long term survival.

Competition of tech and spec sheets was what I was referring to FWIW. It still exists but it is most certainly secondary to the pricing issue.

I like the "Piccard" myself :lol:

Jason

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                        Well I think OLED will get big when it's cheap enough to make huge profits on. LCD profits are rather small now days, so there is definitely incentive to come out with something new.
                        Sure there's always incentive to come out with something more profitable, but OLED isn't that (at least not yet). Though TVs / Displays have never been all that profitable in the first place.

Originally posted by aud19
                        I like the "Piccard" myself :lol:

:T
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Hence why I said when they get cheap enough Eventually LCD prices will drop so far that they won't be making much money at all.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Hence why I said when they get cheap enough
                            How does that happen without market penetration/volume production though....? Chicken and egg problem
                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Well there is still the whole "who's better" thing to push it. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung someone releases a line of OLED sets that are deemed the best ever and it drives their sales up on all their stuff. So there are still plenty of incentives.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Well there is still the whole "who's better" thing to push it. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung someone releases a line of OLED sets that are deemed the best ever and it drives their sales up on all their stuff. So there are still plenty of incentives.
                                That was Toshiba's line about SED though...hence why I'm worried.
                                Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

This doesn't look good for OLED at CES and beyond.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

We're still probably a few years out from OLED imo. And that's if something new, better, and cheaper doesn't come along.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Goodness...I've seen this film before and I idn't like it when it was called SED. Terrible ending.
                                      Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

And with plasma on the wane, LCD-LED sets better step it up. Can't put a projector in my living room when it comes time to replace the current TV.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Yeah I hope to actually get a new TV in a few years and the prospects of something affordable, with good performance that isn't LCD based aren't looking good at the moment...

I was hoping for a Panny or Samsung plasma but there may be none around by the time it happens...
                                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Samsung's probably kicking back right now, shades on and cocktail in hand, thinking it's pretty cool with its 85-inch HDTV prototype that can transform from flat to curved on a whim. LG, however, isn't at CES to watch Samsung score touchdowns from the sidelines, announcing its own 77-inch OLED set that goes from flat to curved on command. All LG needs now is a press conference, subsequent celebrity meltdown, and the two companies are even. Update: And we just got an exclusive first look. It's (unsurprisingly) gorgeous. LG's calling it the first bendable UHD OLED TV -- now remember, Samsung's wasn't (it looked like LED) and it was a touch larger at 85 inches, but it's a more slender mechanism that does the bending on the LG version. We were told it's a combination of "motors and gears" that makes it work, but we like how it maintains the finer silhouette. It's coming to the US sometime between the second half of this year and the start of 2015. LG's been working on it for over a year and a half: it moves 7.5 cm to bend, making it eight centimeters narrower in total at full curve. You can also choose the degree of curvature -- in fact, LG told us that the tech can bend even further, but wouldn't tell us the limits here. Next up for the company: fully flexible TVs and transparent sets. Set your diaries for CES 2015 and watch the video after the break. Mat Smith contributed to this report.

So OLED is definitely coming.

Comment

• impala454
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2007

Ugh, I hope this "bendable" craze doesn't take hold. Seems really silly to me but I see the masses going gaga over it. Cool on the OLED though.
                                              -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

I don't know, I've experienced some curved screens in the past and always liked it. But there are numerous OLED displays at CES this year from all companies including LG, Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. So it seems obvious they are coming, but it may be a while before they are affordable.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

I don't have a problem with curved screens (they're available in projector screens for a reason). I'm not sure why I'd want it to move though...

Yeah OLED is coming, my fear is that there will be no affordable plasmas around as an alternative in the time before OLED becomes affordable (if it doesn't die off like SED).
                                                  Jason

Comment

• impala454
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by aud19
                                                    I don't have a problem with curved screens (they're available in projector screens for a reason). I'm not sure why I'd want it to move though...
                                                    This is what I am annoyed with.
                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

Yeah I could see them having flat or curved models available and letting the consumer pick whichever they prefer (I might even lean towards a curved one if it was big enough) but I don't get the moving thing. Just seems gimicky and like something expensive to fix when it breaks...
                                                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

Actually I could see the curved screen thing being most useful with computer monitors frankly. You're generally sitting closer and it's predominately one viewer. Perfect for a more immersive curved screen IMO.
                                                        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

Figured this was a good enough thread for this, looks like Sony is now stepping into the OLED game.

Along with its OLED panel, Sony's XBR-A1E BraviaTV aims to offer top-notch audio, excellent processing, and a gorgeous design.

Comment

• aud19
                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2003

Figured this was a good enough thread for this, looks like Sony is now stepping into the OLED game.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...d-tv-ces-2017/

*Re-enter isn't it?

If i recall they were in initially and bowed out a few years back due to cost/manufacturing issues (though according to that video it's still an LG panel, so that hasn't seemed to change).

Either way, more competition/exposre is only a good thing for consumers.
                                                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"