Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has bought a projector last year or two?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has bought a projector last year or two?

What have you bought? What were the criteria for your selection of it? Would you shop an HTG advertiser if we had a projector retailer?
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

I recently bought a new projector. I had been holding off the upgrade to a full 1080p projector because my money had been allocated to other projects. But the steady drop in prices along with improved contrast, high brightness, longer bulb life, quieter operation, improved input options (HDMI), and other reasons finally pushed me over the edge. I had convinced myself that I could wait for the next generation of 3D, LED/laser lit FPTVs, once they hit my price point. But ultimately the combination of a super low price and a bonus discount coupon made the difference.

I'd definitely look at a HTG advertiser for HT accessories and such if it had fair pricing and good products offered. :T

Comment

I recently bought a Panasonic PT-AE8000U around Feb or March of this year. It was based solely on the fact my 4000U was getting a little old & I ended up paying less for the 8000U than I did the 4000U. I would look at whatever sponsor we got for projectors but now that I look at my purchase history it won't be for quite awhile.

My projector evolution:
      2006 Sanyo PLV-Z5
      2010 Panasonic PT-AE4000U
      2015 Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D
      Last edited by M.Roberts8; 06 June 2015, 18:51 Saturday. Reason: Added my upgrade path

Comment

I'm very similar to M.Roberts

About 4 months ago, I also bought a Panny PT-AE8000. Couldn't pass up the deal at $1500, and it's a good improvement over my previous Panny PT-AE2000. Bought it from the Projector People, who have done me very well over the years. Would be great if we could get them as advertisers.

This PJ will be holding me until I can get a 4K projector for a decent price, at least sub-$3k. I'll most likely need a replacement bulb before that happens.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Yeah I think the biggest problem is that the projectors of late have really made a huge jump in quality & longevity. So I don't how much business it would generate because the purchases tend to be years apart for upgrades. I suppose there are guys who have to have the latest & greatest every year but I think people are being more cautious with big purchases. I know I sure am these days.

My 4000U was in perfect working order. Like Chris I myself couldn't pass up an upgrade for 1500 bucks. I had seen a 8000U in action as I installed one for a friend so I knew I was in for a slight upgrade from my 4000U. Plus I could finally watch 3D at home & see what all the fuss was about. Having said that I was on my 3rd bulb in my 4000U with no issues at all 1st bulb changed @ 2,754 hrs. I swapped #2 out @ 2,642hrs mind you they were still working fine & I had well over 1,000 hrs on my 3rd. Now the Sanyo was a different animal. By the time I did that on the Sanyo the LCD panels were degrading & I was developing a yellowish spot. Funny thing is I think the Sanyo cost me 1400-1500, like 1250 after rebate! But when you compare that junker to the 4000U r the 8000U it's crazy what has happened in front projection!

On a side note Chris if you want 3D glasses on the cheap check out playstation 3D glasses on amazon got a 4 pack for under 30 bucks! I now have 12 pair just in case!

Comment

LOL, M.Roberts, you're right on the money with that one. I bought two 4-packs of the PS3 glasses off Amazon, so I have 8 of the glasses for like $7 each. Not the best of glasses, but definitely the best way to go.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

I got a used JVC RS-25 off eBay for around $750. Six years ago brand new it was $7,995. The image is impeccable - JVC's implementation of LCOS panels is fantastic. I just built a 134" diagonal screen: frame is 1 x 4 poplar and I used pocket hole joinery. Screen material is Carl's Flexy-white.
              FWIW, I agree with M.Roberts8's first paragraph.

Comment

I got a Sony HW50ES projector 3 years ago. My next upgrade will be a bit into the future, but probably not that long. Waiting for more source material before I'm going to upgrade. I will probably also have to do something with the rest of the chain (PC + pre-pro), so that might push it forward as well.
                Another option that might turn it all around is the development in TV screens. I currently have a 106" projector screen. It will be interesting to see what's going to happend in that area as I expect large screen tv's to continue to drop in price.
                And I would pay more for a 4k 100" TV than for a projector, and if prices start plunging that might possible cause the cost for 100" tv's to become manageable.
                -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

When 4k projectors come around I'll likely be interested again.

Comment

looks like 4K $ for a budget 4K projector, or 28K $ for the high end Sony right now, so we got some trickling down to do...
                    Doug

Comment

Unless I go for a MUCH larger screen (which, in my current setup, is not really feasible), I'm likely to get a 1080p PJ to replace my current Sony AW15 (long in tooth, 720p projector, though a very highly regarded one in its day--which is why I bought it). Of course, it could be that by the time I get around to replacing my current one, 4K will be the minimum available. Not in any hurry yet--mine still looks pretty good (at least, as long as I don't bring in another one to compare ).

Comment

Yeah Doug, sadly my upper limit is in the 3k range for a display device lol. I'm still waiting for OLED to get that low in the size I'd want, I think we're getting close though. Projectors have been pretty stale lately other than the uber high end stuff.

Comment

I vacillate between wanting another projector and getting a TV. My room is small (15 x 11.5 usable space, though there's another 10 feet behind a curtain for storage--so my dual subwoofer setup has room to breathe overall). My seating is 8.5 feet from the screen. My speakers are setup for optimal listening (all tweeter heights, across the front, are within 6 inches of each other--same applies to side/rears in 5.1 configuration [two subs are on one channel]). As such, my screen is actually higher than ideal, but I'd rather compromise the video than the audio. My screen is 64" fixed in 16:9. When I bought my projector, a flat panel of that size was around 6000-7000$ CDN. The projector was 1600$ (the screen I made myself--under 150$ in parts). I gave some thought to the Sony SXRD RPTVs back then, but they were still more than what I paid for the size I have and off-angle viewing from below was not as good as what I get with my screen.

These days, I can get a flat panel in the same size (I have room to go to 70 inches, if I push it) as my current screen for far less than back then, and there are many convenience factors with a TV (currently, I rely on a small--24 inch--flat panel for short time watching, say under an hour for sure, often under 90 mins, but it's a clumsy arrangement). However, I like the look of a projected image on my screen for movies--looks more like a movie than anything through a glass (or other) panel.

Ultimately, it'll come down to what I want to spend and what I conclude makes up the bulk of my watching. Currently, I watch more TV than movies (I have more time to catch a 45 min. episode of something here and there than a dedicated 2-3 hour bloc for movies--I HATE watching movies in more than one sitting [my wife does not grasp that concept :huh: ]). If I went by time spent watching, a TV would make more sense (for TV programmes, for sports, for simplifying the display setup in my room and because I don't have room for a big screen in projector terms). And TV programme aesthetics are not (IMO) diminished by a TV rather than a projector. But if I go by what I most prefer for movies, the projector option wins by a good margin. If OLED was not around, I'd go for another projector for sure. But the OLEDs I've seen make a compelling case to switch to TV--though not anytime soon.

Good thing I'm not nearly so indecisive in the classroom. My students would hate me. :lol:

Comment

in that size room, if you can wait a while for prices to drop, a 65" Oled 4K would be sweet! Even a 70" maybe. but I am hesitant to go above a 65" in any direct view set. That's just me. I will probably only get another front projector at good prices, later on. I do enjoy the immersive experience. My room is 20 wide X 18 deep I set the projector about 5 feet from back wall, and project onto screen on the 18' way, seating and my junk in room takes up the 24' wide

I like my 55" 4K LCD, and my 60" Plasma, no new directviews in my future for a long time!.
                            Doug

Comment

I'm expecting one more year for the 65" OLED to be around 3500.

Comment

Working...
                              X