Are there any new flat panels that do not have the 'soap opera' effect?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Are there any new flat panels that do not have the 'soap opera' effect?

This is one the of the reasons I have not upgraded yet. It frustrating to watch a TV with this effect? Are there even models out there that can turn it off? My buddy recently bought a sammy 55" led and it was almost unwatchable without playing with the settings. There was not a setting that turned it off completely, but we did manage to lower the effect?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Aug 2003

That pretty much is a trait of LCD based displays with any adaptive motion compensation and yes most of them can be turned down/off... but then you get motion issues inherent with LCD's inability to refresh fast enough with fast moving video/objects (preferable IMO to the soap look you describe though).

Or you can get a plasma..or you could wait for and pay top dollar for OLED.
    Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

The New Sharp Elite does not have this effect or does Panasonic Plasma models.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Funny, I haven't heard this referred to as the "soap opera" effect. I'm a big believer in the technology, but I think it's not fully developed yet. Thus, yes, it does make a lot of video look funny. It's already come a long way, though. When they finally get it figured out, I do think everybody will be using and loving it. (if they even realize they're using it)

For now, yes, it's turned off in my own TV's.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
          The New Sharp Elite does not have this effect or does Panasonic Plasma models.
          Sounds like the Panny are my target(as I just checked and the Sharps are a little more than I'm willing to pay).

Any model out there that I should particularly looking at?

I was looking into the Panny TC-P65ST50. Seems like a pretty decent set for the money. I'm not really interested in 3D(at least at this time).
          Last edited by maseline_98; 25 April 2012, 08:57 Wednesday. Reason: Model Reference

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by maseline_98
            Sounds like the Panny are my target(as I just checked and the Sharps are a little more than I'm willing to pay).

I was looking into the Panny TC-P65ST50. Seems like a pretty decent set for the money. I'm not really interested in 3D(at least at this time).
            I'm with you, no need or desire for 3D. Unfortunately Panny and Samsung (the other plasmas you should look at) are both shoving 3d sets down our throats in any of their sets with higher end PQ and over 50".
            Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

No just get the one you can afford , they are all pretty damn nice for the money.
              As you might know the ST series is entry level , then comes a much better set in the GT series , then top it off with the flagship VT series which is very very nice for the money and IMO much better then the Samsung anything models.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                Funny, I haven't heard this referred to as the "soap opera" effect. I'm a big believer in the technology, but I think it's not fully developed yet. Thus, yes, it does make a lot of video look funny. It's already come a long way, though. When they finally get it figured out, I do think everybody will be using and loving it. (if they even realize they're using it)

For now, yes, it's turned off in my own TV's.
                Even funnier is that I knew exactly what he was talking about. I have had customers get motion sickness due to this effect. I call it "Pop up kids book effect" Everyone has a way to describe the FAKE looking video that most LCD / LED produce.

It's a shame 2. I have a Pioneer Elite 60 inch Kuro and I have yet to see or calibrate a better set. I'm still sad that pioneer got out of the business . Lower price Tv's are nice but IMO you get what you pay for.

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

No just get the one you can afford , they are all pretty damn nice for the money.
                  As you might know the ST series is entry level , then comes a much better set in the GT series , then top it off with the flagship VT series which is very very nice for the money and IMO much better then the Samsung anything models.
                  I'm actually wondering if the ST series might drop a little once the VT comes out. I think it's supposed to be release the end of next month/early june. We haven't moved yet(still waiting on closing), so I'm not in too much of a rush to get a new set just yet.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

I'm actually wondering if the ST series might drop a little once the VT comes out. I think it's supposed to be release the end of next month/early june. We haven't moved yet(still waiting on closing), so I'm not in too much of a rush to get a new set just yet.
                    You might want to wait for the new ST models , they are improved over the last years offerings enough to warrant spending the extra money on the knew model even if the older ST model is nicely discounted.
                    Remember , you don't buy a new TV each year so getting the best one you can afford is key here. Your going to have it for years so I strongly suggest going max on budget. Don't try to save money here. But getting last years GT or VT would be a really good idea over the new ST model if thats where your max budget falls.

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

You might want to wait for the new ST models , they are improved over the last years offerings enough to warrant spending the extra money on the knew model even if the older ST model is nicely discounted.
                      Remember , you don't buy a new TV each year so getting the best one you can afford is key here. Your going to have it for years so I strongly suggest going max on budget. Don't try to save money here. But getting last years GT or VT would be a really good idea over the new ST model if thats where your max budget falls.
                      Excellent advice. I actually thought that the ST model I was looking at was the new model...but it makes sense that they would release them all at same time.

Comment

• kgveteran
                        • Oct 2005

My brother just called me about this problem, and i didnt have a good answer other than it should be in the settings somewhere.....

Is the adjustment setting called something different in every TV ?
                        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Just have to turn off fast motion, or 120hz, or anything that sounds like that. Smooth motion etc. Put it to low or off that's what gives you that effect.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Exactly. I hope they make this processing better in the future.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                              That pretty much is a trait of LCD based displays with any adaptive motion compensation and yes most of them can be turned down/off... but then you get motion issues inherent with LCD's inability to refresh fast enough with fast moving video/objects (preferable IMO to the soap look you describe though).

Or you can get a plasma..or you could wait for and pay top dollar for OLED.
                              I have an LCD projector (several years old, so no adaptive motion features of any kind) and I have yet to find a fully satisfying explanation for why I cannot see any motion lag (I watch a lot of hockey) on my 64" screen (I know, small for a projector, but that's the space I have) while I've seen tons of it (and a host of other issues) on flat panel LCD displays. Given my PJ's performance, I have no qualms about getting another LCD PJ in the future, but if ever I go with a flat panel display, plasma still seems to me miles ahead in the motion lag department.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Tiny pixels blown up versus all ready large pixels? I would imagine refreshing a 1.5" LCD panel is a lot easier then refreshing a 65" panel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

That is what I think is the reason, but I've never seen any technical discussion of it that confirms or denies it. Good to know I'm not the only one who supposes so.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"