X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amilder
    • Nov 2004

Sanyo PLV-Z2 memory effect

Hello all,
    I've had a Z2 since March, it was working great up to about 2 months ago. It has developed a problem that has gradually gotten worse, to the point where I asked Sanyo for service.

The problem is this: whenever a high contrast image is on the screen for more than about a minute, an afterimage is visible *only in blue* for several minutes afterward. The afterimage only shows up in intermediate blue brightness levels. I mean, you don't see it if there is no blue or if blue is fully on. The longer the original image is present, the worse the afterimage gets.

Another problem (possible related?) is that there is a blue glow on the bottom 1/3 of the screen, that is almost always visible, but usually at a low level. Also, in this same area, the registration (convergence) is way off for blue. The blue registration is good everywhere else. Warped blue panel?

I have gotten some frustrating replies from Sanyo. At first the service rep was in disbelief, and made me send him digital camera pictures. (I guess you are screwed if your problem isn't visible in a photo.) Now he is saying that the engineer said it looked like overheated LCD panels, and that "this is not cover under warranty because these panels don't ger burnt by themselves."

I have been diligent about cleaning the filter, it's never been very dirty. I always use economy low power bulb mode. Needless to say, this is pretty frustrating and I'm not very keen on recommending Sanyo to anyone anymore.

Has anybody else experienced this or something similar? I did see a thread about "burn-in" but my problem isn't permanent image burn-in, it changes as new images are shown. It also seemed the other fellow got better customer service than I have. My conspiracy theory is that Sanyo has a serious problem, and they are starting to fight back on warranty returns, to keep from loosing their shirts...

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

that "this is not cover under warranty because these panels don't ger burnt by themselves."
    Absolute unadulterated crap. I hope you paid for this thing with a credit card. If they refuse to fix this under warranty, return the projector and place the entire purchase amount under dispute with your credit card. It is absolutely a warranty issue. For them to tell you it is not without any evidence or suggestion of abuse of the projector on your part is really really low.

I am beginning to subscribe to your theory as well. Other than abysmal filtering resulting in perpetual dust blobs in my image, my Sanyo has performed fine (PLV70), but I have seen a significant number of complaints (compare to other projectors) with the Z2s.

Let us know how it goes. I spec a lot of PJs at my work, and am curious to hear how Sanyo treats individual consumers on the warranty end of things.

BB

Comment

• amilder
      • Nov 2004

I'm sending it in today. I really hope they don't try to weasel out of fixing it under warranty. I've treated this thing very well, probably better than most people, and then they turn around and accuse me of damaging it. It's very aggravating...

I checked the hours on it: 1580. I bought this within a month or so of when they came out. I hope, for the sake of other Z2 owners, that this is an isolated problem.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I have also read of many problems with the Z2, and many are related to burned polariser plates. Their service guy saying that lcd panels don't overheat on their own is plain nonsense. The Sony VPL400 ( a PJ I still own) was renown for its burned blue polariser plates, regardless of how often you cleaned the filters. Like the Sony, I suspect there is a defect in manufacturing with the Sanyo. Of course they'd rather not own up to it, Sony buried its head in the sand as long as it could, but after hundreds of complaints they owned up and repaired the polariser plates under warranty.
        Good luck with your warranty problems with Sanyo. This isn't the first negative I have heard about Sanyo service.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• marco10
          • May 2004

I'd just like to say in Sanyo's defense that the service provided by them in the Toronto area is very very good. I have had 2 experiences with the service department with my Z2 and both have been seemless and a delight. They have serviced my machine with no questions asked. I think Sanyo's service in general is pretty good. I guess some service departments have "meaner" people working for them.
          :righton:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Good to hear, Marco.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• amilder
              • Nov 2004

Marco,
              I called the Sanyo QRP (quick return program) number from their website for support. Unfortunately, sending the projector to Toronto was not an option, I had to send it to CA (probably because I am in the US.) I called the Sanyo QRP (quick return program) number from their website for support, how did you contact them, Marco? They did pay the overnight freight, which was cool.

I haven't heard a peep from them and they've had it now 5 business days. I only bring that up since they advertise 24-72 hour turnaround. From the website: "Most of the projectors we receive are repaired and sent back within 24 hours." I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt due to the holiday, but I'm going to call next week. I'm kind of dreading it- I have a feeling, based on my previous interactions, that they are just sitting on it, waiting for me to call them, so they can tell me they won't repair it under warranty because I somehow messed it up.

Andy

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

Don't wait - get after them! Let us other Z2 owners know how this turns out.

Paul

Comment

• marco10
                  • May 2004

Amilder,

I live in Toronto, in fact I am a 15min. drive away from the service dept. I guess they don't take machines across the border. Good luck with yours.
                  :righton:

Comment

• amilder
                    • Nov 2004

I got the projector back on Friday, and they did fix it! Yeah! No more squinting at the ancient dim fuzzy Sony 1031Q (glad I kept it around as backup, though.)

I called last Tuesday and Wednesday asking for status. No one answers the phone there, it goes straight to voice mail. No one returned my calls. A little annoying, that.

To sum it up, Sanyo did fix it, but it took a lot longer than 3 days. So if you're buying a Sanyo because of the QRP (24-72 hour turnaround) warranty, you might want to rethink a little.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"