• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

LG Plasma problem!

Hi all,

The other day my daughter turned on our LG plasma #42PC1DA and there was sound but no picture. TV was working fine the day before. Any idea of what it is....fixes??.......How much you think it might cost to fix it??. :cry:
    Dan Madden :T
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Y-sustain board. There was probably a loud pop before it went. You might have even had some red sparkles in dark areas of the picture for a while now.

Open the back and get the exact model of y-sus board yours uses. Check Ebay or shipjimmy.com for a replacement.

Seems all the PCxD's are doing this about now.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Well....what is a Y-sus board and where do I find it inside the unit?. I am a fix it myself kinda' guy but I've never done TV's!!.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Just to clarify, this Plasma was given to us and we were told it had a problem. Upon bringing it home however, the TV turned on and worked fine for a number of weeks before it decided to not display a picture (which I find odd??). It's a 2006 TV so I'm not sure a repair is worth it at this point???. I don't mind pumping $100-200 bucks to get it up and running or even better, fixing it myself but anything beyond that amount is probably not a good idea right??.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Soooo......aaaa.....what do you think folks??. My guess is that it's gonna' take about 200 bucks to get this thing fixed. It was fixed for the same problem in July and it's crapped out with the same problem again now. LG plasma 2006..........worth fixing??.

Sound off folks.....your opinions will decide what I do with this set!!.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

plasmas are rated about 10,000 hours I think, so 5 years old, depending on how much TV they watched, it could easily b at 7-8000 hours. Invest wisely, after all, you had nothing in this to begin with. Get an electronics shop estimate maybe?
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
              plasmas are rated about 10,000 hours I think, so 5 years old, depending on how much TV they watched, it could easily b at 7-8000 hours. Invest wisely, after all, you had nothing in this to begin with. Get an electronics shop estimate maybe?

There's a shop here that will look at it and give me an estimate for free. I figure if the estimate is too high, I'll just leave the set there...........

I am curious Lex, what happens to plasma's after the 10K hours???.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by madmac
                I am curious Lex, what happens to plasma's after the 10K hours???.
                They explode violently and leave shards of glass everywhere.

LOL, just kidding. They just gradually lose brightness, color temperature may be affected as well. A little like when CRTs wear out, except that they don't get fuzzy.

Anyway, if you do open up the TV, check the electrolytic capacitors on the various boards, especially the aforementioned Y-sus board and also the power supply. Failed ones will start to bulge out on top, or (in the worst case scenario) they can burst. There are a lot of cheap crappy capacitors out there going into products we buy, which is part of the reason why electronics often crap out after a few years.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  They explode violently and leave shards of glass everywhere.

LOL, just kidding. They just gradually lose brightness, color temperature may be affected as well. A little like when CRTs wear out, except that they don't get fuzzy.

Anyway, if you do open up the TV, check the electrolytic capacitors on the various boards, especially the aforementioned Y-sus board and also the power supply. Failed ones will start to bulge out on top, or (in the worst case scenario) they can burst. There are a lot of cheap crappy capacitors out there going into products we buy, which is part of the reason why electronics often crap out after a few years.
                  The problem is this......I believe the TV does not have a lot of hours on it and before it popped and crapped out on me, it had quite a nice picture!. However, the TV was repaired in July for exactly the same problem. Apparently, it's because of the intense heat that is generated inside of plasmas and it fries the electronics!!. I DO NOT want to pay $200 bucks for only another 6 months of usage.

Apparently....LG does not have the best reputation in anything electronic :roll: The internet is riddled with these exact complaints with their Plamsma's

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I hate to show you this, but this was the last LG tv I saw. not mine. I just had to shoot the pic.

Doug

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

OMG !! I think that's the same model as mine!!! Hehehe!!!

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

still not sure why this was in the scrap metal pile, yes, some board level metals, but not much else, rest is plastic or such. Strangely, there was a DirecTV dish thrown out as well, an elliptical one no less. I would like to have saved the dish LNB. but you can't scavange there.
                        Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Tv's are so cheap now and better then the older 2006 models. Lighter , cleaner , brighter , better picture , more inputs cheaper price.
                          I say throw it out and go buy a 50 inch. Samsung has a 51 on sale at Best Buy for like $799. 42's can be had for like $449.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

I just recently bought a 59" Samsung Plasma 1080p for 1K. What a deal. Actually, it was 899 + tax. Still worked out a bout a grand. BD image quality is awesome. It does give you exactly what you see, if it's a crappy signal, image quality suffers. Plasma can be an acquired taste for some people I guess. But I love the colors, and also the lighting. Sublighting comes through with such wonderful warmth and detail, it's been a pleasure so far. Directv is good from a distance, but up closer there are some artifacts. I watch BD discs only 6 or so feet away sometimes.

I still use my 46" LCD Bravia, but now the Plasma gets some play time as well.
                            Doug

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Ok....I've decided to fix the goddamn thing!!. I'll cost a couple of bills which is honestly cheaper than buying a new set. When this set was working, the picture was awesome and the sound from the set was also very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"