X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sharp "Quattron" 4-color TV Display

I'm seeing commercials for these TV's now from Sharp. George Takei introduces this new model called the "Quattron", that apparently adds a 4th yellow display color to the traditional three red, blue, and green. George makes this claim that this enables the TV to show more colors than are possible with the classic RGB.

I don't get it. I had never heard that Sharp was coming out with these TV's. But if RGB can create the entire visible spectrum, why would you need any more? Seems to just add complications and cost.

Is this the gimmick it seems like it is?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You only need RGB, end of story. I think its a gimmick, and its been tried before: by Panasonic in the early 70's - they called it "Quatrecolor". Same idea, supposed to produce more vibrant yellows, but it didn't catch on.

- Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

Yellow is a difficult color for LCDs to reproduce accurately without "blowing out" other colors. Moving the yellow gamut to it's own filter, you might see more accurate yellows, or less overblown colors in the presence of yellow. Not a bad idea, if the algorithm to convert YCbCr to RGB+Y is accurate.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

There was one time I saw a Pb&J display. Delicious colors.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mjb
          You only need RGB, end of story. I think its a gimmick, and its been tried before: by Panasonic in the early 70's - they called it "Quatrecolor". Same idea, supposed to produce more vibrant yellows, but it didn't catch on.

http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/vi...evision/Detail
          My thoughts, pretty much.
          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• BamaTigersFan3
            • Mar 2009

I recently purchased a 60 sharp quattros at bestbuy. I am looking for a dishnetwork vip211 HD reciever code and a pioneer elite vsx-01 audio reciever code. I went through the manual that came with the TV but no codes for those 2 components was listed. I emailed Sharp CS and they told me they didn't have the codes! What the hell is that? You made the tv and you don't have the codes? Every tv i have ever seen came with almost every component code known to man, but sharp don't? Its not like these components came out yesterday, they have been out for a couple years! I am trying to get rid of a couple remotes, i don't need 4 different remotes for 4 different components!.

I will say this, when the TV is on, and the pioneer reciever is on, and i turn off the TV for the night it will shut off the audio reciever too. It can't control anything else but shut off power. So in summary, i need codes for
            Dishnetwork vip211
            Pioneer vsx-01

Or i would like to know a good universal remote that will opperate all 3 with as few missing buttons as possible.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Can't help you with codes but I quite like the Harmony line of remotes.

Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"