X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Bulb replacement

Anyone ever do a bulb replacement and not the whole chassis, just the bulb.

I found one on ebay for 233.00 (compared to 399.00 whole assembly).

Its for an Optoma HD79. Are there good bulb replacements and bad ones,, or as long as it fits use it.

Thanx guys
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Why would you change the whole chassis?

Comment

• kgveteran
      • Oct 2005

Right. The bulb is only 233.00.....have you done a bulb replacement ?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Bulb replacements are easy. Usually it's one screw and it pops out. Just treat it like a any other special bulb and don't touch the lens or anything as grease can break it. It'll slide right in though its very easy.

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

I'll see more when I get the chassis out and get the replacement bulb in hand. Are there good and bad bulbs, or just 250watt Optoma compatable ones.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah I'd just replace it with what was in there.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

I think he's talking about replacing the actual bulb in the bulb cartridge, not just replacing the bulb cartridge.

I've done it a on a few different models. i would highly recommend pulling the cartridge and see how difficult it could be. On a Mitsu it was no problem. Tried it once on a Runco and you had to pretty much destroy the cartridge to get the bulb out.

So just make sure you can change the bulb only without destroying the cartridge.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Oh, I didn't know you could purchase the bulbs separately like that. If the bulb alone is 233 bucks it isn't much more for the whole assembly usually.

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

The whole assembly is 399.00 . I figure it would be worth the 170.00.....if it doesn't turn the chassis into swiss cheese.

Thanx for clearifying Kevin D. Spot on !!! Only the bulb.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

I had done this before with two of my JVC LCOS projectors. But their replacement bulbs were $1100 and the bulb life was only 1000hrs. It was a little tricky to disassemble the cartridge, and you had to make sure that you didn't touch the bulb glass or reflector elements with your fingers as the oil from your fingerprints can superheat and cause early bulb failure.

Of course this was years ago, and generally the bulb prices have dropped and have far longer lifespans. But if the actual bulb is available and fairly easy to remove/replace in the cartridge, then it could be a good option to save money.

As always I'd check online to see other people with your model who have successfully done this bulb swap.

Comment

• kgveteran
                      • Oct 2005

Found one on ebay for 150.00 shipped. The projector came back from the repair with a dead bulb. It wasn't dead when I shipped it, they just said it was dim ???????

What do you think of that

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"