X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Front projection

Where is everyone here? I know some people love front projection, so where are the discussions?

Looks like we are preparing to loose Carada screens as an advertiser, can you say anything to David that might make a different to him?

Well, it's up to you guys, and girls. I can't legislate successful areas. I know I have 2 projectors running and a Carada screen, and love my setup.

What about you?

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • H.T.C
    • Nov 2003

I think front projection is a great if not the best way for viewing movies and closer to a real cinema experience but at this point in time cannot afford one.

It sure would be fantastic if manufacturers like rotel/classe: they do have fans here/denon/marantz/pioneer or rack companies like sanus etc placed adds on this site.
    Robert

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I think part of the problem might be that, once such gear is set up properly, there is little to discuss unless someone comes along to ask for advice. When I first got my PJ, I had questions (first time buyer/user)--both here and elsewhere. But once I got everything set up...

With players and receivers, the whole HDMI and hi-res audio codecs are generating conversations because the standards seem to be fluid and thus open to problems and advice seeking. The stability of the PJ side of things works against discussion. Moreover, PJs are a minority within a minority (owners of an HT, as opposed to owners of a display and player in the living room that is not really different in utility from the old 13 inch TV and VCR many people had).

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Kush
        • Dec 2006

Carada screens

It would be a shame for David to pull the advertisement. I did not have Carada on my radar screeen at all until I came to this forum, now I have my screen and am enjoying it and have passed on my positive experience with the company (particularly David's frequent and helpful email responses) to other users.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Carada is staying with us 3 more months, it's up to us to make them a success. Kush, we appreciate your support of sponsors, VERY much as I am sure David at Carada does!

Doug
          Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Just to add my 0.02 for Carada - we've used their screens in a few installs and they have worked out great, and affordable too.

And yes, I have front projection too, the old fashioned big bulky CRT. Not much discussion of those 'round these parts. Any other CRT users here, please chime in!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

For awhile, this room was doing pretty well. But it's like Ovation says, once you have your unit up and running, unless others have the same PJ and want suggestions on settings and what not, there is little else to discuss. I'll dig around and see if i can come up with some topic ideas.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                Just to add my 0.02 for Carada - we've used their screens in a few installs and they have worked out great, and affordable too.

And yes, I have front projection too, the old fashioned big bulky CRT. Not much discussion of those 'round these parts. Any other CRT users here, please chime in!
                Are those the ones from 1980s that have the red/blue/green lens and look like a coffee table? that projector must be heavy.
                Robert

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

It does have the red/green/blue lenses but it doesn't look like a coffee table (this model is from the 90s, not the 80s ). I'm planning on having a custom coffee table built that will house it though.

It looks like this:

Comment

• Bmac
                    • Aug 2006

I would consider a screen, if I could figure which one to buy. I'm not sure what gain, or what color. I have a light controlled room in my basement. Any ideas for me?
                    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• CraigJ
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                      Where is everyone here? I know some people love front projection, so where are the discussions?
                      What about you?
                      Doug
                      Well, after reading about Wettou's system, I guess I have little to say..... Did anyone else feel a big let down when Toshiba left the HD DVD market?
                      Craig

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bmac
                        I would consider a screen, if I could figure which one to buy. I'm not sure what gain, or what color. I have a light controlled room in my basement. Any ideas for me?
                        A good place to start would be an e-mail to Carada Screens telling them about your layout, what projector you own, etc., and let them make some professional suggestions. I understand they are pretty good and helpful there.
                        I mean, there are so many variables involved in choosing a screen that we could go on days discussing them here.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

BMac, I use the classic white, but you know I am not real sure the advantages of grey over white, David would be much better at this than I.

Actually, he does get into some of the differences here:

Doug

Comment

• draganm
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by H.T.C
                            Are those the ones from 1980s that have the red/blue/green lens and look like a coffee table? that projector must be heavy.
                            them;s fightin words. very few people are running CRT's from the 80's. Mine's a 96 model and still in production today by VDC Florida thank you very much.

It does have the red/green/blue lenses but it doesn't look like a coffee table (this model is from the 90s, not the 80s ). I'm planning on having a custom coffee table built that will house it though.
                            It looks like this:
                            that's an NEC PG or PGX :T . Great little perfomers although pretty complicated to set-up. Have you switched to HDMI or still feeding it RGB?

Comment

• Bmac
                              • Aug 2006

I'll give them a call. Thanks
                              Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                • Jul 2006

It looks like this:

Yes, CRTers are still alive and well although some think that they are developing Alzheimers. :lol:

I painted my PG black. It looks a helluva lot better than the standard color. If you decide to do it, then the pieces come off pretty easy.
                                I will stick with CRT until a good digital comes in at a cheap price. Since I have about $300 into my PG, that may take awhile. Long live CRT. ;x(

Comment

• Kevin P
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by draganm
                                  that's an NEC PG or PGX :T . Great little perfomers although pretty complicated to set-up. Have you switched to HDMI or still feeding it RGB?
                                  Yep, a 9PG Xtra. Great little PJ, well, not so little.

It only has RGB inputs, no HDMI. I run it thru a Lumagen VisionHDP scaler which converts everything to 720p RGB, which works well with the 9PG's 7" guns.

If you think the NEC is complicated to set up, try a Zenith Pro895X sometime.

Comment

• draganm
                                    • Jul 2005

Yep, a 9PG Xtra. Great little PJ, well, not so little.
                                    It only has RGB inputs, no HDMI. I run it thru a Lumagen VisionHDP scaler which converts everything to 720p RGB, which works well with the 9PG's 7" guns.
                                    the 9PGX uses Pannasonic P16 tubes and they're 8 inch EM focus. Same tubes used in the Sony G70 and still available brand new From VDC. I have very similar tubes in my 8500 and 720P is really the sweet spot. no scaler for me though, direct HDMI from DVD player to PJ.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

Yeah, it's interesting that with digital projectors there is very little to do once they are set up. I just turn mine on like a regular TV. No tweaking needed.

There has been a steady evolution of digital projectors in the last few years, with strides being made in contrast and black levels, plus advances in the internal scaler technology. But the big changes have been in price.
                                      With 720p units going for less than $1000, and some 1080p units selling new for what the mid-level 720p units sold for last year.

Unfortunately most people still think of front projectors as complex, expensive, and limited to technically skilled users. ops: But they are not anymore.

Often times I suggest that people who are thinking of upgrading just keep their old TV, and add the projector for night viewing (which is when most people watch TV anyway). Some people are afraid that their living room or bedroom is too small for a projector. But you can add a simple pull down screen and just set the projector up on a coffee table and enjoy big screen viewing even in a smaller room.

Consider that you do not necessarily need a 180" screen, and a nice 84-96" 16:9 screen is more than a rival for the biggest RPTVs, but it takes up zero floor space and the new digital projectors are relatively tiny and quiet now, especially mounted on the ceiling or a small shelf at the back of the room. :T

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

I'm very happy with the "set and forget" nature of my projector. In fact, in some ways, it is a bit too "set and forget" as I racked up a lot of hours watching TV (and not all in HD). Fortunately, I've been able to add a small HD display to that room so now I keep the PJ for movies and hockey.

Comment

• catacon
                                          • May 2007

I decided to go with front projection over an LCD because I wanted the larger screen size that wasn't available with other displays. I wish I could afford a Carada screen, but they are way out of my price range.

I had a ton of questions when I first set up my projector, but now there isn't a whole lot to ask. I only use it for watching movies, so that prompts even less questions about HDTV and stuff like that.

Comment

• PiDD
                                            • Aug 2003

Where is everyone here?
                                            Hey Doug... Things all over seem slow. I havent been around lately. I used visit the site quite a but a while back.

To be honest Doug .. it was the limit you put on the topics that drove me away. I think at one time you said it was your site and you can do what you want ... and you can. But you have to live with it.

Check out www.av123.com. You can talk about other speakers without getting your post deleted ... and that site is doing quite well!

Just a thought! (I do miss the Rotel forum)
                                            Rob

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • May 2003

We have not limited projector conversions at all here.

And we have had some lively debates about the relative merits of digital vs CRT projectors in the past.

I have seen speaker and tweaker debates get out of hand though, so I can totally understand wanting to keep guidelines in place so that the forum does not devolve into personal arguments and attacks, scaring off people who actually just wanted to learn about the technology and about other people's personal experiences and perspectives.

Catacon, actually Carada screens are quite reasonably priced for the quality.
                                              Budgeting a few hundred dollars for a good screen makes sense, as you will see the results in the picture quality. With projector prices dropping so quickly it makes more room in most HT budgets for adding a good screen. :T

Comment

• PiDD
                                                • Aug 2003

I agree .. I have a Carada screen and love it. I was talking more about the forum overall and the topics that are not 'allowed' This is really what drove me off. Look at avsforum... they have advertisers and dont limit the conversation. (Im not saying no moderators ... some convos get heated .. im saying open it up and not limit the conversations) I guess it comes down to where Doug is making money ... advertising or cables. More hits to the site = more advertising... but I dont have to tell you that.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by PiDD
                                                  I agree .. I have a Carada screen and love it. I was talking more about the forum overall and the topics that are not 'allowed' This is really what drove me off. Look at avsforum... they have advertisers and dont limit the conversation. (Im not saying no moderators ... some convos get heated .. im saying open it up and not limit the conversations) I guess it comes down to where Doug is making money ... advertising or cables. More hits to the site = more advertising... but I dont have to tell you that.
                                                  Avs forums do not make thier own cables as far as i know and thats the only topic here which discussion has been limited.

The mods have been more than fair or atleast that as far as topics are concerned in discussing products or view points with threads.

In so far as advertisers not being here they have thier own reasons.
                                                  Robert

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Being into front projection in Australia is really hard. The market here is tiny
                                                    and there is obviously no competition because the gear tends to be outdated and hugely overpriced compared to the US.

I suspect that alot of Australians buy their projectors while on holiday in Asia. I worked out you could buy a dud unit, replace it with a new one and still be ahead.

My Hitachi PJtx10 is starting to age although I still get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. It seems to be prone to little "water marks" from the projected black bars at the top and bottom and even from the start up NAD logo on my DVD player. Despite all that and its standard definition it is still the only way to watch a movie.
                                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"