X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Should I get my first front projector?

Well, my Mitsubishi kicked the dust last night. Truth be told, I don't want to repair the thing, as it just takes up too much room and prevents me from anything near optimal speaker set up, so..........................
    I've been curious about these front projection thingamajigs.

Specifically, I've, in my late night, thought about the Panasonic AX100U unit with a Carada screen.

So, here we go.

Do they last as long as RPTV's or should I get an extended warranty?

Can I plug my Sure West cable (pretty sure it uses the same time connection as antennas use) right into the Panasonic?

If you had it all to do over again, would you still get a projector or would you get something else?

Of course, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, there are two lines of Carada screens. Anyone know if the extra cost is worth it?
    Keith
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Actually, I guess that I won't be getting the front projection yet.

We went into Best Buy this morning to look at one in action and I can see that I'll need more control over the light in the room to optimize the picture. Then, my wife suggested we get a plasma to hold us over for the time being. The plan is for me to use the plasma, until I might want to get a front projector, then shift the plasma into the living room, where the TV, while still functioning well, is like 10-12 years old. So, we ended up getting a 50" plasma which had received some good write ups online.

My main love is sound and having that big old box of a Mitsubishi out of the way should really help. PQ, while important, is a distant second.

And, dang, plasmas have come DOWN in price.
    Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Danbry39
      Specifically, I've, in my late night, thought about the Panasonic AX100U unit with a Carada screen.

So, here we go.

Do they last as long as RPTV's or should I get an extended warranty?

Can I plug my Sure West cable (pretty sure it uses the same time connection as antennas use) right into the Panasonic?

If you had it all to do over again, would you still get a projector or would you get something else?

Of course, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, there are two lines of Carada screens. Anyone know if the extra cost is worth it?
      I'll answer a couple of your questions anyway for no good reason:

Projectors can last 8-10 years no problem, but you'll be buying a couple to several new lamps in that time.

They have no tuner, so no, you cannot plug cable feeds directly into them, you need an STB or VCR or something with a tuner in the chain.

No one ever goes back to a TV from a projector. As they say, you measure your TV in inches? That's cute.

On your ambient light issue, yes you really need control to have a worthwhile image. My projector was 2300 lumens when new (about 1800 calibrated) and I have a HighPower (2.8 gain) screen and a dark painted room, and even I can not watch with too much light in the area if I want something even resembling useable contrast.

There are new screens out that are tuned to the projectors output that reject most ambient light but they are pricey and size limited.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I'd certainly like to see you get into front projection, Keith. I have a dedicated room so light isn't a problem with me. I also don't use my projectors for watching tv; I just use them for movies and the occasional sports event. Anyway, the plasma will keep you happy for tv watching, but if you can go the BIG picture route, you should. As Brandon said, " no one ever goes back to TV after a projector ". Believe me, there is nothing like watching a great film on a 92 inch wide screen in a darkened room. :T
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Brandon,

Even though I got the plasma today, it's just a short gap measure, until Papa Front comes to town. I figure a year or two at most. Besides my now dead Mitsubishi, we don't own a digital TV, so, with the new digital broadcasting regulations kicking in shortly, we'd have to get at least a couple anyway. Therefore, believe me, your input was most welcome. I did learn from it, especially about the lumens and how important it is picking the right screen for the room environment.

George,
          Oh, I wouldn't be too worried about me not getting a FP, my friend. I'm actually proud about resisting being too impulsive for once. This will give me the time to fix up the room logistics and plan the thing out better. Of course, for my birthday this year, when I ask for a Carada screen, only to be met with dumbfounded expressions ("But, Dad, you don't have a projector!"), little do they know that the groundwork is being laid for something bigger...much bigger. :B
          Keith

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Go for it Keith, once you go FP you'll never go back. Just think of Diagonal screens in feet instead of inches.

The screen that I currently using, I found at my job, but I am going for the Criterion Series 1:78, 110 Diag screen, BW (Brilliant White), the Criterion series has a slightly better build quality, framing, masking ,etc.

I just bought 3 HT seats with 2 wedges (Clearance sale), and added two Buttkickers, sorry Chris I just couldn't afford the Clark tranducers.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Thanks Azeke,

First off, congratulations on being named a moderator. May have happened a while back, but first time I noticed.

Yep, that's exactly the screen and size I'm interested in. The cards are falling in place for the projector as well. I was joking with my wife that the optimal viewing distance for a 50" plasma is two feet and that I'll have to have binoculars to see the thing and she said that I should just go ahead and get the projector. Her real motivation, as I understand it, is that she'd like the plasma in the room she usually watches TV in.

Still, I'm going to wait a while, but I'm pretty sure that's the road I'm going to travel. I respect all of your opinions, so they do have sway. As a matter of fact, my wife and I are already in the planning stage. We pretty much have figured out how to shut light out of the room. I already have a nice sconce on the wall that would provide any background lighting I need. She knows just the type of curtains that will completely cut off light from the windows and the French door to our garden room.
              Keith

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

You're welcome Keith, Thank you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Knowing how much a film lover you are, Keith, I am heartened to know that you intend to go the BIG PICTURE route. :T
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

The strange thing is, George, that I most look forward to old black and white movies like the original 39 Steps or something of that ilk.

Then, they could lock me away in my room and I'd be real happy.

I only wish that you could have the option with FP systems of adding the sound of the old reels I used to hear in the movie houses.
                    Keith

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

Ironically old B&W movies are just as fun on the big screen as modern color movies are because you really get a feel of being in a big movie theater with a big screen.
                      Certainly new movies, and especially HD material is incredibly immersive when shown on a front projector, but it's watching old B&W movies that reminds my wife and I the most about the fact that we are watching a movie, as in an old-time cinematic film experience.

It is amazing how much the prices of plasma displays have dropped off, and also how much their quality has improved at the same time over the past 5 years.

At least this set will hold you over until the 1080p front projectors drop down to 720p FPTV prices, which will come sooner than most people expect.

You might get a FPTV even before then, if you can find some easy way to control your room light, or even get one just for watching movies at night.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I couldn't agree more with Keith and Dean about black and white films. I have tons of them in my collection and they always bring back memories of my youth at the local bijou.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

You guys are kinda getting me excited about getting the FP. What's doing it is all this talk about the old black and white movies.

I was thinking today (actually, right now) of what movie I'd break the projector in with and came up with an absolutely perfect film for me - Charlie Chaplin's City Lights. I LOVE that silent movie. And, as we just got a bunch of Marx Brothers, a double feature with one of them (I'll let my wife choose that one).

The shame is that, unless there's an operating drive in somewhere around, I don't even know if a lot of people know what a double feature is anymore. I do know that they do hop from one movie to the other at complexes these days, so I guess they have their own version.
                          Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

And, wow, I didn't know there were so many front projectorophiles at HTG. And what a great group as well.
                            Keith

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

It's unfortunate that many people don't know about the first half century of movie making when most everything was in black and white.
                              There are amazing stories, memorable writing, and distinctive, interesting characters.
                              All providing great comedy, drama, noir, mystery, suspense.

Of course now that I'm talking about it, I'm going to have to pull out some B&W classics today to enjoy this week.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Wait... you mean the first black and white movie wasn't "Schindler's List"?
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

After this black and white discussion yesterday I put Citizen Kane on last night. Man I forgot just how pure a transfer that is.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• chasw98
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I have a copy of 'Birth of A Nation' which is very interesting to watch. Some of the added features they put in show the original lots it was filmed on and the equipment used in making the movie.

One note............. Before you go out and buy that Carada screen, look into puttting your own screen up on the wall just the size you want. There are some very good 'Ambient Light' paint formulas out there that you can use when painting your own screen that will make a commercial screen look very bad. I am able to watch my FP with a decent picture in the middle of the day with the curtains open. And it looks even better with them closed or at night.

Chuck

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

Chuck,

That is such a great suggestion. Honestly, I'm so new to even thinking about a FP, that I'm virtually clueless. Where do you get this type of paint? Also, do you still put up a frame around it and should that frame have black felt or something as a surface material?

Anyone else gone this route?
                                      Keith

Comment

• chasw98
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Chuck,

That is such a great suggestion. Honestly, I'm so new to even thinking about a FP, that I'm virtually clueless. Where do you get this type of paint? Also, do you still put up a frame around it and should that frame have black felt or something as a surface material?

Anyone else gone this route?
                                        Here is a link to the screen that I built. http://www.cwitt.com/images/bflf-122.../thumbs_p.html and here is a link to the guys doing some of the best aftermarket formulas around http://www.xtreme-fusion-screens.com/home.html. Pete (one of the owners) is a friend of mine and I kind of, sort of, beta tested for him when they were going through formulas.

You can paint directly (either spray or carefully roll) onto any smooth surface be it a wall, a piece of masonite, or mdf, or drywall. A black border around it is preferred because it tricks our brains into see better and truer contrast no matter what the lighting condition is. I have done some screens in Palm Beach where the whole wall is painted with the formula and the picture just 'appears' when the projector is turned on. When you compare the performance and the price of a commercial screen to an aftermarket formula, you can get a much better screen for a lot less money.

Chuck

Comment

• Danbry39
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Sep 2002

Thanks, Chuck, those sites are cool. That screen on your second link looks awesome!!!
                                          Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                            Wait... you mean the first black and white movie wasn't "Schindler's List"?
                                            Doofus. It was Young Frankenstein. duh.

BB
                                            Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 01:53 Wednesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Yeah, George, "Citizen Kane" does do it right.

If you have the director's edition of the DVD, the commentary track by Roger Ebert is one of the best I've ever found on a DVD yet.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Sep 2002

Boy, do I miss Roger Ebert. Hope he gets better soon. Of course, there will always be qualitative disagreements over films, but I've always loved his enthusiasm and historical knowledge of cinema.

Oh, and, not only is his commentary on Citizen Kane just great, but if anyone has the edition with the documentary...I think it's called The War Over Citizen Kane...that's pretty fine as well.

Back to Keith's ignorance of FP's. And, this is going to sound dumb (yes, I know there aren't supposed to be dumb questions, but this one might truly qualify). OK, if I bought a projector, attached in in a fixed position on my ceiling, and let's say a 100" screen (perhaps just the frame if painted), how do I get the picture into the frame? I imagine that there are angle adjustments to aim the picture into the frame, but is there a zoom feature or something that fills out the size so that it doesn't overspill over the frame or not fill the frame entirely?
                                                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                                  Doofus. It was Young Frankenstein. duh.

BB
                                                  And I thought it was Psycho.
                                                  Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                    Here is a link to the screen that I built. http://www.cwitt.com/images/bflf-122.../thumbs_p.html and here is a link to the guys doing some of the best aftermarket formulas around http://www.xtreme-fusion-screens.com/home.html. Pete (one of the owners) is a friend of mine and I kind of, sort of, beta tested for him when they were going through formulas.

You can paint directly (either spray or carefully roll) onto any smooth surface be it a wall, a piece of masonite, or mdf, or drywall. A black border around it is preferred because it tricks our brains into see better and truer contrast no matter what the lighting condition is. I have done some screens in Palm Beach where the whole wall is painted with the formula and the picture just 'appears' when the projector is turned on. When you compare the performance and the price of a commercial screen to an aftermarket formula, you can get a much better screen for a lot less money.

Chuck
                                                    Chuck, my wife just got home and she loved the system in your house, as I suspected she would. Now, both of us had just seen a FP system at Best Buys this weekend and your picture is much brighter than what we saw there, even though their room was much darker. Both of us are quite impressed and are leaning this way. I think the projector at BB was a Sony and, truth be told, don't have a clue as to whether it's any good, but, for sure, your system trumps the one we saw.

You now have my wife saying, "Oh, wow, we should get something like that". :T
                                                    Keith

Comment

• chasw98
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

OK, if I bought a projector, attached in in a fixed position on my ceiling, and let's say a 100" screen (perhaps just the frame if painted), how do I get the picture into the frame? I imagine that there are angle adjustments to aim the picture into the frame, but is there a zoom feature or something that fills out the size so that it doesn't overspill over the frame or not fill the frame entirely?
                                                      When you mount your projector to a ceiling, the mount you choose should have adjustments for left/right and up/down. That will get you close. Most projectors also have what is known as a zoom ring that will get the image to the right size to fit your screen. Now you have to build your screen to a standard be it anamorphic or 16:9, or 4:3. The common standard these days is 16:9. Cinemascope movies are 2.35:1 for very wide. Using an anamorphic lens you can toggle between the two but that is for another discussion. The one variable you do need to be aware of is that your projector will ony throw a certain size image so far and so big. You can see an example of a calculator here. That will get you in the ballark as to where to mount the fixture that your projector will attach to if you are using the ceiling.

If you are going to set it on a table, then you just adjust the legs and the zoom till the picture fits.

Chuck, my wife just got home and she loved the system in your house, as I suspected she would. Now, both of us had just seen a FP system at Best Buys this weekend and your picture is much brighter than what we saw there, even though their room was much darker. Both of us are quite impressed and are leaning this way. I think the projector at BB was a Sony and, truth be told, don't have a clue as to whether it's any good, but, for sure, your system trumps the one we saw.

You now have my wife saying, "Oh, wow, we should get something like that".
                                                      Don't you love it when the wife gets excited over a toy that you really want :T ;x(

What part of the country are you located in? Most guys with custom screens love to show them off just like hi fi nuts like to show off their systems. Pete at Xtreme Fusion Screens might know somebody in your area that has a screen like mine.

By the way, there are no dumb questions.

Chuck

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Sep 2002

Chuck, that calculator be cool.

I live in Northern California in a town we moved to to get away from it all, Elk Grove. Well, that didn't work. The most recent census bureau release listed us as the fastest growing city in the country. When we moved here twenty years ago, one traffic light : Now, gridlock :evil: . Twenty years ago, cow pastures, open spaces, ranches: Today, an auto mall.
                                                        Last edited by Dean McManis; 01 February 2007, 21:54 Thursday.
                                                        Keith

Comment

• chasw98
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

I live in Northern California in a town we moved to to get away from it all, Elk Grove. Well, that didn't work. The most recent census bureau release listed us as the fastest growing city in the country. When we moved here twenty years ago, one traffic light : Now, gridlock :evil: . Twenty years ago, cow pastures, open spaces, ranches: Today, an auto mall.
                                                          I can relate. I used to live in El Jebel, Colorado and moved to South Florida. Culture shock!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                            Don't you love it when the wife gets excited over a toy that you really want :T ;x(
                                                            I don't use toys to get my wife excited.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jun 2001

zing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                Yeah, George, "Citizen Kane" does do it right.

If you have the director's edition of the DVD, the commentary track by Roger Ebert is one of the best I've ever found on a DVD yet.
                                                                Yeah, that's the one I have, Chris, though I don't usually listen to the commentary tracks. But now you've piqued my interest on this one.
                                                                Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 02:11 Wednesday.
                                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • May 2003

Still that was 20 years of peace and relative isolation, now "civilization" has come knocking at your door again.

You could always find the next Elk Grove, some 40 miles away and enjoy a new slumbering community for the next 20 years until the population expands to reach it.

I myself am building a home in Scotts Valley, CA which is also a small but growing town near Santa Cruz. I'm sure that eventually the city will expand out to my area of the woods, but I probably won't be around to see it happen 8)

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Sep 2002

My wife is too attached to Elk Grove. Honestly, mostly I love the place too. Wouldn't mind a vacation home though.

By the way, I've been to Scotts Valley a few times, mostly when I used to visit a tiny hamlet named Brachen Brae (probably way off in the spelling). Anyway, near Boulder Creek. With all the nature in your area, you'll always have a nice spot to visit. Beautiful hiking and bike riding territory nearby and you always have the Pacific Ocean.

Believe it or not, I remember (dating myself here) when the Santa Clara/San Jose area was pretty tiny.
                                                                    Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

George, yes, I do listen to most director's commentary tracks, but to be honest get low-to-moderate information from them. Sometimes they're interesting, like finding out that "Euro Trip" was filmed almost exclusively in Prague for ALL scenes. Here's the director's commentaries that stick out in my mind. (this might be good for a dedicated thread) My opinions:

"Citizen Kane" - best commentary track I've ever found, by Roger Ebert

"Forrest Gump" - WORST commentary track ever by Wendy bimbo-somebody. Just wanted to hear herself talk, I guess. The whole track is sitting in silence, as she watches the movie, occasionally saying, "oooh, I like this part." :roll:

"Airplane" - Oddest commentary yet. The whole time, they bag on you, saying, "why did you buy this movie? This is horrible". Then they walk out halfway through the movie, leaving you in silence. Funny.

"Euro Trip" Most creative commentary. There are two tracks. The first one is a typical commentary. In the second one, the directors play a game where they drink every time there's nudity, sexual innuendo, swearing, or yelling. Basically finding any excuse to drink, they get as trashed as they can realtime during the course of the movie, throwing out tidbits about the movie. They get the munchies and order pizza halfway through, having it delivered right to the studio again real-time. By the end, somebody's stepping out every few minutes to pee and they're bombed. Very amusing.

"Matrix trilogy box set" - Most daring or at least intellectually honest commentaries. Two commentary tracks per film--one is a pair of philosophers who did like the film, expousing the philosophical issues in the films. The second track is a pair of movie critics who did NOT like the film, talking about why they didn't.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" - not a commentary on this one, but there's a subtitle option that will display a Shakespearean play script during the movie if you don't feel like watching the movie. True British humor.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"