X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

HDMI question

I just bought a new Samsung flat panel TV. I will hook up my upconverting Denon DVD palyer to the TV via HDMI cable. Will the cable only transport video, or does it do audio also?

Also, the TV has 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio that I am able to manually change myself. I understand DVD's are made with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Is this correct? Therefore if I change the screen to 16:9 it will give a slightly distorted view?

Thanks all
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

1. HDMI transmits both audio and video.

2. DVDs can be 4:3 or 16:9 (anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen TVs".) Most movies in widescreen format are released in DVD in the 16:9 format. So for these discs you'd put the TV in the 16:9 mode to get the correct aspect ratio.

Comment

• tf1216
      • Apr 2006

I am going to chime in because both of you are from New England. Hey neighbors!

I own a Samsung tv myself. I think you will love your purchase. Enjoy!

Comment

• subynube
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by tf1216
        I am going to chime in because both of you are from New England. Hey neighbors!

I own a Samsung tv myself. I think you will love your purchase. Enjoy!

Yes neighbor. Great call!! :T I enjoy it already. One more question. Will hooking up the signal from the DVD player from HDMI cable versus other (such as RCA) do anything for the aspect ratio? Will it automatically play with the proper aspect ratio?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"