X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Thinking of getting a 65" LCD

So it looks like a buddy is gonna buy my 50" plasma, and it looks like its time to upgrade.

I dont want anything smaller than a 60, and 65" would be sweet.
    So through my vendor partners and work it looks like I am down to one set that will fit my needs and pocketbook.

The Sharp 65" LCD.

abtelectronics.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, abtelectronics.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I am just a little concerned about a 65" LCD, ghosting or whatever.
    Anyone have any comments or opinions? I have become real partial to plasma, however 65" > 50" and discounts > no discounts. :lol:

Thanks! :T
    B&W
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

...wow 65" flat technologies are expensive You don't like micro RPTV's I guess? I haven't looked into LCD's that large. But the sharps are supposed to be nice although I've heard a few problems popping up here and there lately.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

If I was buying a set that large today, I'd go with one of the rear-projection units. Of course, you'd have to set it on a table, so that might not be feasible for you. Sony is killing it's line of rptv's, so you should be able to find a good deal. I've seen the KDS-60A3000 readily available for less than $1800. Not bad.
      Brad

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I like the Sony RPTV's. Also like the Samsung units.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blindamood
          If I was buying a set that large today, I'd go with one of the rear-projection units. Of course, you'd have to set it on a table, so that might not be feasible for you.
          Thats exactly it. It has to be wall mounted, I cant/wont give up a few feet of space. The room isnt all that big, but even after a year that 50" looks small. :lol:

The 65" would fill the entire wall between the windows. :T

I measured 62" between the trim of both windows, and the 65" Sharp is just over 60" wide.

Dougie, what kind of problems have you seen popping up with the Sharp units?
          B&W

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Most digital RPTV's are only a few inches deeper than your average flat panel FYI I too would get one of those before taking out a second mortgage to get a 65" LCD myself :lol:

Otherwise...personally I'd keep the plasma you have and look in to a FP with retractable screen that could even span over the windows if you like. Otherwise Sharp, Sony and Samsung all make nice LCD units.
            Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I didn't want this to turn into a cost option. (I had a feeling it was gonna go that way) Cost has nothing to do with it, (not saying I am throwing money around etc) I am stating ignore what you see on the bottom line, msrp etc etc.

I dont see myself ever spending 8 grand on a television or anywhere near that. I would rather spend 8 grand on some Krell amps or a B&W HTM1D

I tried to allude to that I plan on going this route for a few reasons.

-I have a buyer for my plasma
              -I have vender (dealer) discounts through work. (key reason without telling everyone "hey, look i get discounts")
              -It will only cost me about $1000 difference to step up to a 65" inch with several hd inputs and the latest technology.

I wont put another TV on the floor in this room, even the very nice (almost bought one in '06) Sony SXRD is 20 inches deep, which would also move my center in the middle of the room. VS the 4" hanging off the wall of a flat panel.

Thanks for the comments and opinons however, its what I like to see.
              B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

We are just looking out for you But it seems you know what you want/need in your situation with your room. Are 65" plasma's that much more then a 65" LCD? Probably are I guess...I just know the ~50" plasma's are now close to the price of their LCD counterparts.

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Going from Plasma to LCD is no upgrade. For that amount of coin, I would get the Pioneer Kuro 6010.
                  A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Yeah I'd be hard pressed to not get a Kuro if $$$ isn't a concern
                    Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Thanks again for the opinions, and I appreciate you all looking out, however I dont think you are understanding what I am saying.

-I get discounts through work
                      -With those discounts this TV is the best discount I get
                      -Every reply in this thread has some sort of comparison based on price. (IGNORE THE PRICE)
                      -I am not spending 8 grand, 6 grand, or even 4 grand on this TV

When I said cost has nothing to do with it, I said that with the meaning that you all were reading the 8 grand price tag. Its going to be no where near that and I would have to agree with what you all were saying if someone was spending that kind of money on a TV.

If I could get a Pioneer, or Sony for the kind of discount I am getting, I would. I cant, so thats not an option.

My questions were opinions on a large LCD, specificlay that Sharp. Has anyone used/seen/heard about these. Why would you rather have a plasma over the LCD?
                      B&W

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Plasma's, ESPECIALLY the Kuros, have WAY better contrast, black level, colour, less motion problems than LCD etc. They're basically the best flat panel you can get right now.

If you've already decided on the Sharp due to your ability to get it heavily discounted then I'd say your mind's already made up...
                        Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I looked into the Kuro's and I can not seem to find a contrast ratio listed anywhere to compare them too. Have any idea on what they are?
                          I also see they offer a non 1080p and 1080p models.
                          B&W

Comment

• btf1980
                            • Aug 2007

Sharp LCD's are notorious for having banding issues. I don't know how much you are paying for the Sharp LCD, but the 6010 Kuro can be had for around $4200-$4600 street price. It's worth it to pay a couple hundred more if you can get the Sharp LCD for under $4K.

Maybe you should go to a BestBuy/Magnolia store to compare. They have both the Sharp LCD and Kuros on display.

Comment

• btf1980
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                              I looked into the Kuro's and I can not seem to find a contrast ratio listed anywhere to compare them too. Have any idea on what they are?
                              I also see they offer a non 1080p and 1080p models.
                              The Pioneer 6010 is 1080p. Trust me, the Kuros are pretty much the premier readily available flat panel on the market today. I personally don't get caught up in the minutae of contrast ratios.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Yea I plan on swingin by the Magnolia store to see what they have on display.
                                B&W

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Have a gander at this review

Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

You really gotta sway my decision dont you!? LOL Damn it, I dunno if I want to read that, because doing so will probably cost me another $1500.

HAHA!
                                    B&W

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                      You really gotta sway my decision dont you!? LOL Damn it, I dunno if I want to read that, because doing so will probably cost me another $1500.

HAHA!
                                      The last line of the review:

No matter what type of TV you're looking to buy, you owe it to yourself to see how one of these looks, just for comparison. On second thought, maybe that's a bad idea. . .
                                      :B :rofl:
                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"