X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

Finally previewed the JVC DILA RS1

well this is not easy to admit for a die-hard CRT guy but I saw the RS1 last Sunday and it knocked my socks off. I sat down, they turned it on , my jaw hit the floor, simple as that. 8O That thing had unbelievable punch, smooth as silk, sharp as a tack, and the CR was nothing short of amazing although I did not see any REALY dark content like Mines of Moria. It was being fed Blue Ray Casnio Royale projecting on a 2.35 CH screen and a motorized lense so you can switch from 16:9 to 2.35. This added $8K to the RS1's $6K base price. I have to admit, if I had the $14K to blow I would be sorely tempted.

BTW, saw a sony Pearl next to it as well and it didn't look as bad as I expected but it was definitely not something I would ever pay $3K for. Next to the RS1 it was a joke. colors were not as saturated, it was softer, and the Pearls CR was terrible, even with the Auto Iris on. Once again, sony gets it's ass handed to them in a big way.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Not surprised at your comments, Draganm! I've got a few friends in different parts of the country which I've really had to push to get to go audition the RS1, instead of a variety of also rans (in my opinion) including the Pearl. In my opinion it's the current standard in Digital projectors at any price up to $10K. I don't feel a need to rush out for one myself, but for anyone setting up a new system these days, (several lucky friends getting new homes shortly), it's the only thing I recommend.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

What is the rated CR on it? How many lumen output? I wish I had 6 grand to blow on a projector :B Thats the biggest reason I'm looking at used crt's is price to performance ratio.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yes, this is definitely one projector I'd like to own. Really liked the performance.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I havent seen it demoed but what reviews I have read tell me this is a PJ I should own.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Steve Goff
            • Feb 2002

I've had an RS1 for a few months now, and it is in some ways the best projector I've seen. It has a few drawbacks, but the picture is usually quite wonderful. At the price, especially the initial sale price that I bought it at, nothing can touch it.
            Steve Goff

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

It's the native panel contrast ratio without any trickery like dynamic iris that makes the deal! Color primaries could be a little more exact, and with some video sources you'd want an external processor, but I'm quibbling here over nits. :W
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a chance to take a peek at one soon.
                I've owned several JVC D-ILA FPTVS and this projector sounds pretty amazing.

I'm just waiting for this level of performance to hit a sub-$2500 price point, which I'm expecting to see in about a year.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

A year you sure about that? 15k:1 CR on a sub 3k projector without an auto iris? I don't see that happening within a year. I can see the RS1 dropping below or at least around 5 grand which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Comment

• Steve Goff
                    • Feb 2002

Yes, the contrast ratio is that high, though few could measure it. And the ANSI contrast ratio is also quite high, though not as high as a couple of new 1080p DPL projectors, the Sharp and the Marantz. It is sharper that any CRT projector I've seen, including the G90 and my (former) NEC XG852. It is the closest I've seen to a CRT for absolute contrast ratio, and better than any CRT for intrascene contrast ratio.
                    Steve Goff

Comment

• digitalman
                      • May 2007

yah i have seen the JVC a couple of times myself and it is the best deal out there right now, though i wouldnt pay 8K for a lens for it. Just get a cheap DIY lens and be done with it...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        A year you sure about that? 15k:1 CR on a sub 3k projector without an auto iris? I don't see that happening within a year. I can see the RS1 dropping below or at least around 5 grand which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.
                        It was a little over a year ago when most of the nicer 720p projectors were costing $12K-$15K. 8)

But then came the new breed of 1080p front projectors, with Optomaā€™s HD81 being the first to ship at $7999 MSRP.
                        Well under the expected $10K introductory price point.

...Then a couple weeks later Mitsubishi launched their HC5000 at $4495. :E

Panasonic went even further, shipping their PT-AE1000U for $3999, then quickly came out with a mail-in rebate offer, lowering the street price to around $3500.

Epson then set a new 1080p low price point of $2999, at which point Panasonic raised their mail-in rebate to $1000, to bring their price under $3K.

BenQā€™s W10000 came out at $6995, and then introduced an even less expensive version, the W9000.

Sony's VW50 Pearl, launched at $4995, and can be found (along with the Mitsubishi HC5000BL) for under $3500.

JVC's impressive RS1 started with a MSRP of $6995, which dropped to $6295 before the first one even shipped, and I've already heard of some people buying them for under $5K with special discounts.

After that Optoma cut their MSRP of the HD81 from $7999 to $4299, and added a $300 rebate to bring it down under $4000.

So even though nobody would have thought that it was possible two years ago, you can now find several 1080p front projectors for around $3K today, with great picture quality and high contrast (using variable iris).

So it's actually not too much of a stretch to see manufacturers being able to match the JVC RS-1's great capabilities, at a sub-$3K price point in a year's time.

I'm also hoping for over 2000 lumens, and an LED light source while I'm at it, thank you. :T

Comment

• draganm
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                          So even though nobody would have thought that it was possible two years ago, you can now find several 1080p front projectors for around $3K today, with great picture quality and high contrast (using variable iris).
                          lets not confuse my praise for JVC's DILA RS1 with a horrible POS with a motorized Iris and phony contrast Ratio like the VP50 Pearl, Kay? :lol:

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

Sorry, but $3K is $3K, and the Pearl looks simply fantastic to me for that price, as I'm sure do the Panasonic, Epson and Mitsubishi 1080p FPTVs.

You always pursue top quality regardless of price or simplicity, and that is admirable.
                            But comparatively these new "bargain" 1080p FPTVs do set a new price performance standard for home theater use.

I am also holding out for more, simply because I have seen such a rapid evolution of the picture quality at the same time that prices have been dropping, but it shouldn't be too long of a wait now.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Well we probably have a couple more years yet before an LED FPTV is going to be available. At least at a reasonable price. I don't know honestly we'll have to see. The new Samsung RPTV's with the LED light engine are out and a lot cheaper then I thought they would be. So who knows?

Comment

• draganm
                                • Jul 2005

Sorry, but $3K is $3K, and the Pearl looks simply fantastic to me for that price, as I'm sure do the Panasonic, Epson and Mitsubishi 1080p FPTVs. You always pursue top quality regardless of price or simplicity, and that is admirable. But comparatively these new "bargain" 1080p FPTVs do set a new price performance standard for home theater use.
                                no not really, I persue the best picture at a given price point. If had the $6K to blow my Marquee 8500 might come down in exchange for a JVC RS1 ( either that or a 9"LC CRt projector). however, I would not switch my PJ for a Pearl, Epson, or any of those other junkers for $3k. AAMOF, if I was starting from scratch I would still choose a really nice 8" CRT projector over the Pearl.

I am also holding out for more, simply because I have seen such a rapid evolution of the picture quality at the same time that prices have been dropping, but it shouldn't be too long of a wait now.
                                I can see JVC dropping their prices a little but I don't see a reason why they should slash it to $2K . It looks to me like like they hold the patent on the DILA technology and it's king of the hill bar none. So they don't really have a lot of incentive to make it cheaper. Of course Sony could just steal the technology like they did with the Blue Ray laser and fight it out in court. That's really the only thing they're capable of anyway, marketing with a gaggle of lawyers to back them up. :a> SONY corp.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • May 2003

But you are comparing new projectors against old/used ones.

It's like comparing a used car with a new one.
                                  You can certainly get a great deal buying a used Rolls Royce that costs the same as a new entry-level Lexus, but it's important for a buyer to understand all of the ramifications of buying used, especially with CRT FPTVs.

You understand them and still see the value advantage, but others do not necessarily share the same priorities (and skills) as you do.

There are absolutely no new CRT FPTVs available for anywhere near $3,000, and in fact I don't think that anyone sells new CRT FPTVs in the $6K (RS-1) price range either.

You can get reconditioned/rebuilt ones, but those still usually have 15-20 year old electronics (which cost tons if they break), even if the CRT tubes have been rebuilt.

And of course most CRT FPTVs are going to need a quality scaler too, wheras the new digital 1080p FPTVs have excellent built in scalers, and they take in HD video via HDMI, which is becoming more and more important as far as HD peripherals and HD-DSS goes.

I'm definitely NOT expecting to see JVC drop their RS-1's price down to $3K within a year. In many ways it's surprising to see them coming out with such and impressive FPTV for just $6K today.

I am however expecting to see the next generation of digital 1080p FPTVs capable of producing an equivalent or superior picture to the RS-1, without using iris technology, for under $3K in a year.

And seeing the advances in price-performance over the last year with digital FPTVs, this is not unlikely at all. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

There are now HDMI and DVI cards for many of the CRT projectors. Actually there is a DVI-VGA adapter that accepts 1080p and HDCP protected stuff that works with any CRT projector or display that has VGA without HDCP. Crt projectors are very nice and if I have a dedicated space for a theater anytime soon they are a very viable option for me due to cost to performance. And places like CurtPalme have great customer service and is a very reputable when it comes to shipping/sales/support of CRT projectors. Although having an RS1 would be awesome

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

Thanks for the info Dougie. :T

I have to admit that I have not kept track of the CRT FPTV market and support peripherals for years now.

It does make sense that somebody would take care to build an electronic rosetta stone to keep CRT FPTVs connected to the newest HDMI HD peripherals. 8)

Comment

• draganm
                                        • Jul 2005

There are absolutely no new CRT FPTVs available for anywhere near $3,000, and in fact I don't think that anyone sells new CRT FPTVs in the $6K (RS-1) price range either.
                                        true: new CRt pj's cost between $12k and $36K, I could never afford one

You can get reconditioned/rebuilt ones, but those still usually have 15-20 year old electronics (which cost tons if they break), even if the CRT tubes have been rebuilt.
                                        false: the oldest CRT projectors being sold today are about 10 or 111 years old, Very easy and cheap to repair. According to Curt Palme, a typical repair is $350. the excpetion is a rare and compicated sony G90, those can be more.

And of course most CRT FPTVs are going to need a quality scaler too, wheras the new digital 1080p FPTVs have excellent built in scalers, and they take in HD video via HDMI, which is becoming more and more important as far as HD peripherals and HD-DSS goes.
                                        false: and HD fury DVI to RGB transcoder card is a whopping $150. Add a $250. toshiba HD-A2 or $400. blue Ray player and you will really see something to rival even the RS1 :T

I'm definitely NOT expecting to see JVC drop their RS-1's price down to $3K within a year. In many ways it's surprising to see them coming out with such and impressive FPTV for just $6K today. I am however expecting to see the next generation of digital 1080p FPTVs capable of producing an equivalent or superior picture to the RS-1, without using iris technology, for under $3K in a year.And seeing the advances in price-performance over the last year with digital FPTVs, this is not unlikely at all. :T
                                        i'm not so sure, the problem is that as the price keeps dropping the quality does as well to some degree. the JVC has some problems as well with convergence adjustment that's too coarse, bulb output drop-off in the first thousand hours, and Yellow blobs or bands on white scenes. If it breaks outside of warranty, a single repair can approcah %50 of it's retail cost to buy new. Even with it's imperfections it's still a great product and a great value but I would be surprised to see something spank it within a year or two, much less for cheaper $.

Comment

• benthx
                                          • Nov 2004

Hello Guys

Fairly inactive for a while. First let me identify myself. I am a JVC PRO Dealer located in Australia.

I am happy to answer any questions for the HD1 or RS1 including set up etc......I am very familiar with CIH and this is part of my operations.

I canot talk about prices etc....... but happy to help with true information not skewed by normal sales talk.

Time to give something back to the online communities.

Thanks
                                          Ben

Comment

• draganm
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by benthx
                                            Hello Guys
                                            Fairly inactive for a while. First let me identify myself. I am a JVC PRO Dealer located in Australia.Ben
                                            here in the states the RS1 is about US$6K dollars, a pretty good value. AFAIK, down in Oz it costs AUS$8500. = US$9690.
                                            While the RS1 is an excellent performer, it's still a disposable product that mades to last a few years under everyday use. Somone would have to have a hole in their head to drop $10K on something like that. :lol:

Comment

• wildfire99
                                              • Aug 2005

If you're paying over $5k for an RS-1 you're paying too much...
                                              - Patrick
                                              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"