X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Samsung HL-S5687W

I was just curious if anyone has this DLP TV and what their thoughts are of it's performance?

I really (for my room size) wanted the 50" but I can't get it at the price (nor at the place) I want to get it as they only have the 56".

I've tried to find some reviews and found a bunch of favorable things and just a few minor problems with it.

Only thing that somewhat scares is me is the wobulation. I don't think it's a really big deal, but then again I'm not sure either (down the road).

If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. :T

-Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

i think it sucks
    the colors are brighter as with the 720p versions vs last year
    we had a 61" 720p (last years) next to this one
    consistently average joes would comment that the 720p looked better
    i agreed, they also are prone to displaying ranbow colors (not ranbow effect) accross the entire screen via the antena input
    given dlps poor reliability and samsungs proficiency in demonstrating it I really wonder why you are looking at an rear projection other than the sxrd

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Because I didn't really see any difference betwee the two (dlp and sxrd), my friend has the 50" Samsung DLP TV and properly calibrated, I have yet to find another TV with as good of a picture.

I just figured getting a 56" Samsung DLP vs. a 50" Sony sxrd would be just as good. Especially with playing xbox 360 games on it. I also thought the sxrd didn't have quite as crisp of a picture, but I admit I couldn't compare the two directly side by side.

I know how to properly calibrate the TV set, so reguardless what I pick, it's going to have one of the best images on it...I just wanted to know what performance I would get from the Samsung if anyone had it.

I've have as of yet to see a DLP fail...so I had never thought about their poor reliability. If the DLP LED TVs weren't so much, I'd probably go for that. I've seen bulbs burn out after long use (4 years in a FP), but the small amount to replace the bulb isn't a big deal.

All this is really holding me over until the good SED TVs come out...
      -Dan

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

We just got a 5687W a few weeks ago and are extremely happy with it.

We notice zero rainbow effect when viewing SD or HD material through the cable box.

It looked significantly better than the Sony A2000 in-store, and other shoppers agreed.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Thanks Willy!

That's good to know! I was worried about SD viewing. Hopefully (until I get my HD cable box) the analog SD signal fed into the unit won't look too bad.

My friend's 50" Samsung (720p/1080i model) is really good. I noticed a few rainbows initially when he got it, but since then, I can't see any rainbows on it. Course I noticed it more with a dark image and bright white/color on screen moving around. But it wasn't too bad. So to hear the new one is even less likely to do it. Awesome.
          -Dan

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

I am actually very surprised at how well digital SD looks (we have time warner digital cable) on this TV.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I've got the set, got it for an amazing price (as good as online's cheapest price) but picked it up at BestBuy. So far, I'm really impressed even without HD -- Though I have some HD content on the Xbox360. So even with sitting really close (6.5' -7' away) it's still holding up really good. Sitting back another 3 - 5' and it would be one of the most amazing pictures I've seen.

I also like that no rainbows appear at all! My friend's 50" HLS5067w (I believe--the 720P version) you definitely catch rainbows here and there. So I'm really happy

Now I just need HDTV!!!
              -Dan

Comment

• WillyD
                • Feb 2006

Now I just need HDTV!!!
                Get it! Hell, at least get a antenna and check out OTA HD.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Ha ha, I had the antenna for about 3 days, worked really well for where I am (in a valley). I got the HDTV service from Comcast now. Works good. Just have to figure out the channel availability. I'm missing ESPNHD...definitely have to have that!
                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"