X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

does this sound like a deal?

I found a hitachi ultravision projector at a MN home theater store and am really tempted to buy it. The black levels are really good, the price is good(normally 3500 dollars, now 1600 dollars, floor model). The only problem: I don't know the model number. I think it's similar to a hdpj52 ultravision, but it's sliver in color. The pictures of the hitachi hdpj52 I found online were all black. I'm told it's around 5000:1 contrast or 6000:1 contrast, I don't remember which. Also, it is the last model they'll get.

I'm around 99% sure it's the hdpj52, just that it's silver. Anyways, does this sound like a deal at 1500 dollars plus tax? If you can, try and hurry it since I'll only be in the area until monday.

Note: Right now I only have a very low-contrast standard definition projector.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Why don't you ask them to see the manual?
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

a PJ20tx, (or pj200tx) I'm quite sure,
      is the same as the HDPj52

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

I had to hurry, so I mainly just got a demo and forgot to get the model number. I'm almost sure it's the txpj200, which I found has the same specs as the hdpj52, just different color. Anyways, for 1600 pus tax, do you think it's a good deal?

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

I never met a Hitachi Ultravision I didn't like.....LOL
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• KeithM
            • Oct 2005

Even though I really liked it, I called today to ask the model number and they said it was the pjtx100, the one with only 1200:1 contrast. The fact that the guy said it had around 5000:1 contrast was complete bullcrap. Also, they aren't as urgent to sell it, as now they want $3,000 for the tx100, which sounds like a complete ripoff.

Comment

• KeithM
              • Oct 2005

The projector search is over for me. I found a Panasoic AE900 for $1300 including the rebate and the blockbuster card, but now I have a question about the blockbuster deal included. When it says "up to 300 dollars", does that mean I get 300 dollars in dvd rentals or does that mean 300 dollars of rentals including x number of dvd rentals and x number of video game rentals?
              Last edited by KeithM; 19 April 2006, 12:34 Wednesday.

Comment

• KeithM
                • Oct 2005

I found out that card is for 40 rentals, but that's still $120 in my city. Not bad.
                Now I'm wondering if I should just get an upconverting DVD player, selling my old one(sell around 100 dollars) and just getting an dvi to hdmi cable from *INSERT BRAND I"M NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY HERE* for around 40 dollars. The same brand can also get me the component cables I'd need, but it would be around 100 dollars in cables. Anyways, it ends up being around 40 dollars more, but is it worth it?

If it matters, right now I have a pioneer 578A and the upscaling dvd player I'm looking at is the oppo OPDV971H.

Comment

• draganm
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by KeithM
                  Now I'm wondering if I should just get an upconverting DVD player, selling my old one(sell around 100 dollars) and just getting an dvi to hdmi cable from *INSERT BRAND I"M NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY HERE* for around 40 dollars. The same brand can also get me the component cables I'd need, but it would be around 100 dollars in cables. Anyways, it ends up being around 40 dollars more, but is it worth it?
                  What's an extra 40 bucks , if you have the option to keep the signal in the digital domain all the way to the PJ then that is your best choice. Analog cables like RGB or Component really should not be run for lenghts over 25 feet. I would try and keep the DVI cable no longer than it needs to be, but if you do need it longer it won't be as much of a problem as with an Analog signal.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

It sounds like you have made really good choices so far.
                    Enjoy your new HT setup! :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"