AE-500 to AE-900... is it worth the upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

AE-500 to AE-900... is it worth the upgrade?

Hey everyone,

Im currently thinking about upgrading my Panasonic PT-AE500U to a PT-AE900U. What I am struggling with right now is whether or not it is worth it or if I should wait one more model before I take the plunge.

I would appreciate the opinion of everyone but especially those who have made a similar upgrade and what you thought the cost to benefit ratio was. I can get a good deal on one right now but I just want to know if it is worth the plunge.

Thanks for the opinions,

Matt
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Well lcd technology has come a long was since Panny brought out the 500 so you can bet there are big improvements. Why not try to see a 900 demoed so you can see for yourself, then make the decision.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• MattCXII
      • Feb 2004

The problem is I can't demo the player in my area so that is why I am asking others for their opinion. Obviously it would be best if I could demo it myself but since that is not possible I would like people who have owned the 500 and went ot the 900 to offer their opinions.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well there are a few 700 owners here, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there are 500 to 900 owners who can answer. BTW, I would never buy a projector without seeing it. But that's just me.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• havix
          • Oct 2005

I haven't seen either so take this suggestion with a grain of salt but the h72 is making quite the stir over on the avsforums. I'm a CRT projector owner so DLP is the only way I'd ever go digital.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Which CRT? What are your goals going digital? Brightness, ease of setup?

See, for me, the only way I'd ever go digital, having sampled several, is LCOS. But I'm especially sensitive to rainbows and temporal dithering, the bane of DPL projectors. For others, it's no big deal.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

It's not really much of an upgrade in my opinion. Generally when I am upgrading equipment I like to save until I can afford something that is better quality, higher specs, new technology, etc.

The 900 does have higher specs than the 500, but I would save my money for a next gen digital projector.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"