X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBAV
    • Feb 2006

CRT to LCD or LCOS

Hey guys I wanted to get your opinions on what I should be looking at model wise. Just moved into a new house and I want something else. I have a low hour Zenith Pro 895 but would like to look at something like an AE900 or VPL-HS51, etc. Any recommendations?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Both the models you mentioned are pretty good LCD PJs with lots of contrast, something you may find hard getting use to after crt. I went from crt to lcd ( a Sony VPL400Q lcd, the first widescreen projector) and really found it difficult getting use to a lack of contrast. But that PJ only had about 100:1 or 200:1 contrast ratio. I now own a NEC HT1000 dlp pj and its contrast has been rated anywhere from 2500 to 3000:1 by various reviewers. It is probably the closest to my old Zenith PRO851 crt. I also have a Yamaha LPX510 lcd projector and it, too, has very acceptable contrast. I saw the Sony HS51 demoed and you will not be disappointed by its picture.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• MBAV
      • Feb 2006

Thanks, the reviews for the Sony's contrast are glowing. I am trying to find one in Florida to see.

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

the zenith 800' + 900's were pretty low on the CRT totem pole (electrostatic focus, low lumens), so chances are some of the affordable digital stuff might be an improvement for you. If at all possible, make sure you see a preview and don't buy based on someones recomendations. Another forum memeber (different forum) went from a Barco 808 (electromagnetic focus 1200 lums) to an HS-51 and hated it. I think it was up for sale within 48 hours. Personally, I have to recomend a better CRT, either
        1) The Zenith PRO 1200x OR
        2)Elecrohome Marquee= still being manufactured brand new in Florida.
        Of course if the screen door and elevated black levels don't bother you the HS51 is a much easier road to take

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

It is all relative... curiously, I went from a Zenith CRT to a Sony widescreen LCD also, and even looked at some of the newer models. But I went back to an NEC 9PG+, then most recently a 10PG. (9" tubes).

Now, for some kinds of material, I really like what I've seen with the better LCOS proejcts- I even like the Canon SX50- at least, it has none of the artefacts of DLPs which seem to bug my eyes disproportionately. And very nice color. I would really like one of those for my presentation work at business.

I'd agree 200% with draganm, don't take other's words, look with your own eyes and decide what meets your needs before you plunk your hard earned cash down. Something that may not bother someone else may be a deal breaker for you (for example, I'm a bit of a stickler for red primaries- an "orangish" cast to reds really bugs me unreasonably. Also have issues with low light level temporal dithering visible in man DLPs). YMMV.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Something that may not bother someone else may be a deal breaker for you (for example, I'm a bit of a stickler for red primaries- an "orangish" cast to reds really bugs me unreasonably. Also have issues with low light level temporal dithering visible in man DLPs). YMMV.
            ~Jon
            interesting, I have gottent o the point of wanting to color filter my CRT red as well. Luckily, with the Zenith 1200 and your 10PG, you get color filtered C-elements on the LC chamber. I on the other hand have to try and do something with glycol tinting on my Air Coupled Marquee 8500. A small bottle of metal-matrix color fast red dye as only $16. though, so I will have to experiment and take some pics of the difference. It won't be scientific witohout a color meter, but as long as I don't over-do it It should get better.
            It's funny that the longer you are in this hobby, the picky'r you get, 3 years ago I though the reds on my CRT were perfect. OTOH, I find my biggest complaint with the bulb machines is elevated back level, if it can't slam the theatre to pitch black on dark scenes I lose my involvement in the movie and start thinkin about the equipment instead.

Comment

• MBAV
              • Feb 2006

I just went a saw an aquaintence's AE900 on a Firehawk. Even on the large screen it looked pretty good. Decent blacks, not CRT blacks but maybe livable.

I went an looked at a couple of DLP's and I surely can't go that route, the rainbow and flashes messed with my head. It's too bad too because the color and brightness were unbelieveable.

I've gone ahead and put out the Zenith on ebay. It's mint.
              Link to Zenith
              I think I'm getting old, I just want an easy setup.

I just need to find an HS51 to see. If the blacks are more detailed that may be the one! Altough for the price the 900 isn't bad at all! Big improvement over the LCD's I saw in the past!!

Comment

• MBAV
                • Feb 2006

Anyone care to rank the LCD models?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by MBAV
                  Anyone care to rank the LCD models?
                  Ranking lcd PJs is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Some swear on the Panny 900, others the Sony HS51 and many now are praising the Sanyo Z4. Like everyone else here has been saying, you really have to be the judge yourself.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• MBAV
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    Ranking lcd PJs is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Some swear on the Panny 900, others the Sony HS51 and many now are praising the Sanyo Z4. Like everyone else here has been saying, you really have to be the judge yourself.
                    I hear what you are saying. But is there anything above the AE900, HS51, and Z4?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by MBAV
                      I hear what you are saying. But is there anything above the AE900, HS51, and Z4?
                      Not that I'm aware of in the LCD camp. Someone else here may know better. Now if you are thinking LCOS, that's a different story and the Sony Ruby is probably it .
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• ekkoville
                        • Aug 2004

George, you think you Yammy LPX-510 is lesser than the three mentioned above? I thought it was fantastic looking.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by ekkoville
                          George, you think you Yammy LPX-510 is lesser than the three mentioned above? I thought it was fantastic looking.
                          It is fantastic looking, but it honestly doesn't have the contrast of the newer lcd projectors. That doesn't mean that I don't like it. I actually bought it over the Sony and the then Panny 700 because I preferred the overall picture quality of the Yammy. Heck, contrast isn't everything, but even so the Yammy was supposed to be rated at 1000:1 and that works for me.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"