X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NigelTufnel
    • Oct 2009

Projector for outside use

I'm in the market soon for a home theater projector and screen for outside use. I'm wondering about a few things:

- How high of an angle and how far away from the screen can I expect to mount the projector? I want to be able to show football games and such without losing a lot of yard space due to screen blockage. My ideal setup would be to mount the permanently or semi-permanently under the eaves of my house and allow it to project through the yard onto a screen mounted on my wood privacy fence, but if I lose all the yard between the projector and screen, that's no good. My guess would be that stretching a string between the projector lens and the base of the screen will tell me what area will block the image.

-Will I be able to use this in the daytime, or just I expect to only be able to use it at night? I've been seeing the brightness ratings on a few models I've looked at, but I don't really know what the numbers translate to in usage.

-Do you thing it would be too distracting to have the speakers in a place other than at the screen?

I have to do this as cheaply as possible. Suggestions are appreciated.
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Daytime outdoor projection is pretty much a non-starter, and with your "cheaply as possible" caveat, it goes very very far out of the picture.

Mounting a projector permanently outside will require building it a weather proof enclosure that still allows it to ventilate for cooling when operating.

The speaker thing is subjective, but I think for an outside rig, it should be fine.

What do you consider cheap?

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

I think the Black Diamond screen needs to be looked at for your application. I remember reading an article where the applicaiton was for outdoor use and another in a room with a lot of natural light. It did extremely well.

As far as the projector, you will need to make sure it is safe from the weather. Either build a weather-proof box for it, or like you said, mount it under the eave of the back yard.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• farazakan
        • Sep 2009

Nowadays projectors are coming with weather shield.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"