X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

Can't decide on which display...

I continue to vacillate on which display to buy. I originally narrowed it down to plasma 42/43 - 50" displays due to space considerations. I also decided that I wanted the best which from what I read is either Pioneer or Fujitsu.

I'm now having second thoughts and am thinking that since technology changes so rapidly why should I spend that amount of money on something that I might upgrade within two or three years.

So... now I am considering looking at the Panasonic line of plasma displays since they can be had for considerbly less money. I still want a good picture, discretes, and something that will last me several years in case I decide to keep it and not upgrade to the latest and greatest in a few years.

Should I be looking at other technologies such as DLP, LCD, etc? I have been leaning towards the plasma because of the better black levels, no screen door issues, off axis viewing, bright room viewing, and other issues which the plasmas seem to handle better then other types of sets.

Any suggestions? Should I also consider LG, Mitsubishi, and others? I'm beginning to like the idea of spending $3000.00 or less on a decent display.
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

As good as Fujitsu and Pioneer plasmas are, Panasonic doesn't take a back seat to them at all.

I would go that route to be honest. I calibrated my friends' Panny and it's GORGEOUS. DLP and LCD do not hold a candle to his picture quality. The only negative is burn in which he isn't seeing. Really burn in on a plasma is a bit overrated anyway until you are intentionally trying to.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I saw a Samsung 42" plasma in Best Buy for $2999 that had a very nice picture. I believe it was the HP-R4252. Getting into the set-up menu and adjusting the contrast and color settings brought up an even better result - enough so that my wife was going "wow, that's pretty impressive". You might want to look at them also.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• kruzmisl
        • Dec 2004

If you don't need a plasma with speakers or a tuner, you should look at the commercial Panny's rather than the consumer. I just got a TH-50PHD8UK for slightly less than 3k delivered. The 42UK is even less. It has the normal (component, s) connections and I added a HDMI connection board for $129 to connect to a planned Yamaha 2600 receiver and HD cable box with DVR. It's hard to beat this PQ at any price. The commercial is also thinner and narrower than the consumers, which for me makes a nicer mounting situation.
        John

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

If you have to get a plasma I'd go with the Panny's 99% of the PQ of the Pioneer/Fujtsu models at a much lower cost.

But to answer your other question, yes you can get an equally as good (or better) picture from LCD, DLP, LCOS, SXRD or even good old CRT RPTV's if you can sacrifice some floor space, and you'll save a fair chunk of $$$ in the process :T

What do you plan on using the display for most? Daytime viewing? Night time/light controlled movies and HD? What and when you'll be using the display for may help you narrow down your display choice as well
          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

99% of the PQ of the Pioneer/Fujtsu models at a much lower cost.
            I wouldn't go that far. I'd say more like 85% maybe depending on how you weigh things(most likely lower). The Pioneers are brighter and have more pop to the image while the Fujitsu's combine both the brightness and blacks(contrast) with the best scaler in the biz(IMHO).
            Last edited by Shane Martin; 03 October 2005, 14:18 Monday.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Ok I may have been exaggerating slightly....:lol: As always you do get what you pay for and if I win the lotto and want a plasma it will be Fujitsu. My point was and I think you agree, that the Panny's offer a good portion of the performance for a fairly large dsicount
              Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Yep I would agree with you there. I would spend a little more for the Pioneer though. I wouldn't spring for the Elite which is Fujitsu $$.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I haven't seen the new Pioneer's yet, how are they comparing?
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"