X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerryK
    • Apr 2005

Help no digital picture

:cry: I have an NEC HT 1100 projector with DVI input and a Pioneer DV868I DVD player with an HDMI output when I connect with an HDMI-DVI cable the projector reports no signal. Anybody got a solution?
    TerryK
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Your problem is most likely due to trying to interface HDMI with "plain" DVI. HDMI uses HDCP encryption and copy protection, ESPECIALLY if you use an upscaling feature in your DVD player- HDCP is normally enabled. Older standard DVI inputs don't support HDCP. Also, check to be sure you have compatiblity on DVI inputs with reslutions for TV other than 480P on your NEC. You should be able to get them to handshake sending just 480P or 480 on DVI. But realistically, DVI is most useful in preserving information on wideband signals- at 480i or 480P, standard component in good equipment works pretty well.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TerryK
      • Apr 2005

No picture

Jon thanks quick response. The NEC projector is described as being HDCP compliant. Have not tried the pioneer with LCD computer sceen will try .
      Cheers

Comment

• Ralph P.
        • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Terry, you don't mention how long a cable run you have between the Pioneer and the NEC. It would also be helpful to know which cable you are using as well. In most cases longer cable runs ( say over 15 feet ) will work, however if the length is over 15 feet there could be issues with some equipment.

I ran a 10 meter Lindy DVI cable from my Denon 3910 DVD player to a Sony HS10 front projector and had no issues. This same length cable using a different DVD player to the same projector produced problems on another setup.

I now have a Sony HS51 front projector connected to my Denon 3910 using a 23 foot Ram Rev 2 HDMI cable with no issues.

Just another avenue to explore.
        Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
        Blu-ray Disc Reviews
        AVSForum.com
        My Home Theater
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• TerryK
          • Apr 2005

Ralph Thanks you may have something. The cable is german Oehlbach but it's 7 metres long which is 21 feet. Will try to gwt a shorter cable and try the connection that way. Thanks again
          Terry

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

VERY good point by Ralph- it didn't occur to me that you weren't in the initial check out mode with a short cable. 21 feet is pretty long- I'm using a 3 or 5 meter cable, no problems at 1080i. I've heard that there is some variability in the "strength" of the drivers in different chip sets, too, so while a long cable may work with some sources, that's not an iron clad guarantee it will work with all. There usually is a "deterioration" point, at which there's still signally and a handshake, but there may be "sparkles" or other artifacts in the picture.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"