X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Acoustically "transparent" screen

I'm about to start the adventure of building a dedicated theater room am currently in the planning stages of the project. I'm looking for opinions/advice on using an acoustically "transparent" screen so that I can locate my center channel speaker behind it rather than above or below it. This is a cruicial decision I must make so the design of the walls can be determined.

Thanks for anticipated responses.
    Jerry Rappaport
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Jerry-

This is the route that I've chosen to go. I just got my screen, but haven't set it up yet or bought a projector. Originally, I was looking at Stewart perforated screens, but ended up buying a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Perforated 119" diagonal screen. Can't wait!

The screen will be hung on a false front wall covered with acoustic fabric, so that all my speakers and subwoofers will be behind the wall and hidden. Again, can't wait!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

My first perforated screen was a Da-Lite model, and it was very nice. Good sound and picture quality. Remember that there is so hit in the brightness (5-10%), and you can see the perforations if you get up close (>8'), but I really love just seeing the screen, and having the sound coming from the center of the picture, just like real movie theaters.

After the Da-Lite I got a micro-perf Stewart Grayhawk screen, and it had smaller perforations, but it was a bit better in sound quality. I've been really pleased with that screen.

The biggest concerns that I had with choosing a perforated screen was that it would affect picture quality, that it would muffle the sound clarity, and that having the speakers close to the screen, it vibrate the material and distort the image. But none of those issues were there is real life. The picture looks and sounds great.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"