X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve_barrow
    • Sep 2004

Hitachi 60VS810 vs. 57F510

Evening folks, I'm at a bit of an impass, I think I have a favorite here but would like some opinons see if there is anything I may not be considering.

Between these 2 sets, does anyone have any major pro's or Con's either way if you take price and weight out of the equation?

I have been considering the samsung Pedestal also but I'm really nervous about DLP and my ability to see the rainbow effect, so I'm back to CRT / LCD

Any opinons or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has had either calibrated, please pipe up as I will be having that done after 100+ hours or so.

thanks!
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

I have the hitachi 60vs810.

cons:

Only 2 hdmi or 2 component inputs, so only 2 'digital' inputs at any given time.
    With certain images, screen door effect. Mainly when seeing solid expansive colors. Granted, I'm only ~7ft away from the t.v.
    Fan noise is still less then desirable during quiet passages of a movie.
    Cable card is a joke, not hitachi's fault. Just a 1/2 baked idea. Maybe when they update with a new version may it be useful.

It does have the glass in front which can not be removed. This may be a factor if you have a lot of sunlight. I have the tv in a room with controlled lighting and limited sunlight. Therefore, this was never an issue for me. According to hitaching, this TV cannot be professionally calibrated. I've just used it straight out of the box, very little tweeking calibration needed when using my avia disc.

But I am happy that I bought it, and I still think it is the best tv in this price range/category.

57FS10? Im guessing that's a CRT based hitachi?

Comment

• Steve_barrow
      • Sep 2004

Yep, CRT. Biggest you can get up here from Hitachi as the director Series are US only

thanks for the reply, sounds like your happy with it so far. I have to admit the picture is pretty impressive just in the showroom

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I vote CRT
        Jason

Comment

• Frustrated
          • Jan 2005

Buyer beware

As a tech, the best advice I could give you is stay away from brands that are made in China or Korea. That goes for brands such as RCA/Samsung (the worst), Zenith, LG, etc... I've repaired alot of TVs , and the most difficult was RCA/Samsung without a schematic your lost. If anyone has ever seen anything electronic made in China you know what I'm talking about. From missing components to soldering jobs that look like they have been made by a 2 year old. Your best bets regarding quality (NOT MODELS) are IMO Panasonic, JVC, Hitachi, Sony(tends to be over-priced), and Sharp.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Frustrated
            ...Sony(tends to be over-priced)...
            :rofl: Soooo true :lol: They do make good stuff but man do they charge ya for the name!

Are you a a certified ISF tech Frustrated?
            Jason

Comment

• Frustrated
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by aud19
              :rofl: Soooo true :lol: They do make good stuff but man do they charge ya for the name!

Are you a a certified ISF tech Frustrated?
              No I'm not. But I do have a Professional Trades Degree in electronics from a trade school in Montreal. Alot more comprehensive, and alot more expensive than a certification. The only things I wasn't trained to fix are cell phones and plasma and LCD srceens (not fixable)

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

Keep in mind my response is biased. I own the TV therefore I LOVE the tv.

My previous set was a 60" Hitachi CRT 4:3 based tv. I'd say about 8yrs old. Still works flawlessy today. But complete different PQ/viewing experience.

The CRT is much dimmer and susceptiple to viewing angles. But in no ambient light/straight on viewing angles. CRT's ARE VERY NICE...

Comment

• Steve_barrow
                  • Sep 2004

well thanks guys, thought I'd pop in and let you know I went with the 60VS810 and am extremely happy!. in low light you really see it's weakness of not great blacks but other than that it's a stunner!

thanks for the comments!

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

It's a great set, and for me the clincher was the height between the bottom and the actual screen. My TV stand sits fairly high so, anything higher would have made for an awkward viewing angle. No other RPTV has the 'look' of an LCD/Plasma like the hitachi sets do!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

We sell quite a bit of those Hitachi units in our store. We do mostly repairs but of course carry a showroom. The comments above a quite true about the set and would recommend the "V" and the "VS" series. There are also alot of other good brands available but this one does shine and garnished great reviews. BTW the repair comments from our FRAUSTRATED member is soo True :lol:
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"