X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kahuna
    • Jan 2005

Please some advice

My wonderful 14 year old Toshiba CRT cinemax series 30" is finally going south. I am looking at the Mits 55813 for $2499 which is DLP, the "sales" guy who sounded fairly knowledgable said the rainbow effect has been corrected in these models. I found the 55615 with shipping on the net for about the same price which is CRT. Am I looking in the right area? I don't want to spend any more than that as I am looking to upgrade some audio stuff also. Any advice????
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you're looking to replace your current set with something of decent PQ and low cost, stick with a CRT based RPTV for now. I recommend you look at Hitachi and Mitsubishi for CRT's. Toshiba's are pretty good too.

As for raibows being "corrected"... Colour wheels in single chip displays, which cause rainbows, have been improved to the point of it not really being an issue. However to state that they've been "corrected" makes it sound like there is no chance of rainbows ever occurring which is not true. People still extremely sensitive to them might still see them in some situations. As I said, with the new, quality sets, it's not really a concern, however there is still a very small capacity for them.
    Jason

Comment

• Frustrated
      • Jan 2005

Panasonic

Originally posted by aud19
      If you're looking to replace your current set with something of decent PQ and low cost, stick with a CRT based RPTV for now. I recommend you look at Hitachi and Mitsubishi for CRT's. Toshiba's are pretty good too.

As for raibows being "corrected"... Colour wheels in single chip displays, which cause rainbows, have been improved to the point of it not really being an issue. However to state that they've been "corrected" makes it sound like there is no chance of rainbows ever occurring which is not true. People still extremely sensitive to them might still see them in some situations. As I said, with the new, quality sets, it's not really a concern, however there is still a very small capacity for them.
      Do you have any info about the flat Panasonic 30" or 34" CRTs that are HDTV compatible.

Comment

• Kahuna
        • Jan 2005

I am looking to move to a larger screen. I have a large living room with about 14 feet between the the "set" and the couch. Too much light for anyting other that a "screen".

I don't mind spending the money to have a prof adjust the set to max. My concern is to make sure even though I am buying "old" technology it will be compatible with what is coming down the line in the next couple of years such as compatible inputs and features.

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

Kahuna,

The new Mitsubishi CRT RPTV's offer the DVI & HDMI inputs and as far as I know there arent any other sets offering inputs that the Mits doesnt have.

We recently bought the WS-48515 and it is a fantastic display. We went from 32" Sony tube set and it did take some getting used to, but we bought it at Thanksgiving and I am wondering why we waited so long.

Glad to hear you'll have it calibrated because that is essential, we have a guy I can recomend that is from up north to do it and he has a tremendous reputation.

Another aspect I liked about the Mits was it had an anti glare screen that was removable and we actually had a better picture without it, some makes do not have removable screens.

Have fun & good luck!
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"