X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roger325
    • Jan 2005

Panasonic PT-AE100 problems

After turning on this projector, the light output is somewhat faint and then starts to flicker before shutting itself off. The projector has currently approx. 500 hours on the original bulb. The life expectancy of the lamp on low mode is around 5000 hours. Does anyone know if this is an indication that the light source needs replacing or can it just a malfunction with this unit? I've noticed that the fan does not seem to be working when the light goes off. The air filter has been cleaned on a regular basis. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem with this unit.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

If the lamp is gone the projector should be showing some kind of warning signals such as certain color lights flashing. If it isn't, then I suspect it is something more than an expired lamp. I'd give a Panasonic tech a call.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

It does sound lamp-ish though. Try taking the lamp assembly out, and then put it back in making sure it is seate correctly.

Also, tell us what else is sharing the pwoer circuit with the PJ. THey need a bit more juice to fire up the lamp, and if the igniter is not geting enough power it can do something a little like this.

Could be you got a crappy lamp and it needs to be replaced. Or it could be something in the ignition circuitry.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, Brandon's suggestions make sense. Let us know how you make out.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Jurgen
          • Jul 2003

Perhaps it's the same problem I had with the ae100. I returned it to the dealer. Initially we both thought it was the lamp, but after replacing it (while in the shop) the problem persisted so the projector had to be shipped to Panasonic and it turned out to be a "power" issue (probably the ignition as suggested).

If it is a power issue than perhaps it can be repaired under warranty, which is better than having to replace the bulb (which can be expensive)

Good luck!
          Jurgen

Comment

• roger325
            • Jan 2005

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. It seemed to me that it was too early in the lamp's life cycle for it to expire so soon. Anyway, the projector was taken to a Panny authorized repair centre and finally after two weeks the shop has advised me that the replacement lamp exhibits the same symptoms as the original one. So it's not the lamp but probably a power supply issue and the PJ will be sent to Panasonic Calgary for repair. You guys had it pegged all along. Brandon was asking if the PJ was sharing a circuit with other equipment. Well it is. It's plugged into one of the filtered outlets from a Panamax 5500 which is on its own separate circuit right from the electrical panel. Can this cause it to quit working?? It still didn't fire up when plugged into another outlet.

Comment

• roger325
              • Jan 2005

Finally got back my projector a couple of weeks ago. It was a power supply problem. The Panasonic techs replaced two transistors and the lamp. It seems that the unit was surging and that was a no no for the lamp, causing it to cease to operating. Although this problem had presented itself when the unit was under warranty, Panasonic Canada elected only to pay for the repairs and not the lamp ($550cdn) which only had 500 hours of use. No amount of emails and phone calls will get them to change their minds. Has anybody else had any problems with Panasonic customer care? I love this projector, but I somewhat skeptical of the build quality.

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

I'd keep after them - a surging power problem sounds like a sure recipe for a short bulb life, and they should replace it.

Paul

Comment

• roger325
                  • Jan 2005

Thanks for the encouragement Paul but how does one contact Panasonic for some old fashioned service. To date they will not respond to any emails (is 2 too many) or telephone calls. Any ideas would be appreciated.....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I had a bad experience with Panasonic and an RPTV I once owned. Their customer service sucked. It was a warranty related issue and finally after some threats of legal action, I finally got a response. That was quite a few years ago. They may be better now, but from what you are saying, I doubt it. This bad experience was also part of a deciding factor for me to not purchase their AE700 projector.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

"elected" is an interesting wording choice. Their mfg defect killed your lamp. I would not let it go easily. But it's a personal call when agrravation ceases to outweigh $.

BB

Comment

• Jurgen
                        • Jul 2003

To me, Panasonic has a strange point of view. It's like having a car accident (driving against a tree, therefore damaging the front of the car: engine, bumper etc...) because of a flat tire and the “all risk” insurance is only paying you for a new tire, because that was the only thing that wasn't functioning correctly prior to the accident. The rest (including a new tree :lol: ) would be up to you.

Perhaps you could paste this thread in a letter or e mail it to them. Besides the fact that we all agree that this repair should fall under warranty (Panasonic actually admits it themselves that the lamp ceased out because of the faulty transistors), they will get the chance to undo (what is potentially) bad publicity on a great and well respected forum. :B

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"