X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug S
    • Dec 2004

Computer DVI-D out/Projector

Hello Again...I Just got off the phone with a salesman about an Infocus 4805 and when talking to him about hooking this up to my DVI-D out On my Gateway Multi-media system he said this may not work as projector won't recognize this output because it is computer output something about HDCP. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of a computer type hook-up and projectors.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Well, I'd be surprised if either your 4805 or Gateway are ***NON***-HDCP. My money would bet that they should display just fine. Without getting into details, HDCP is a copywrite protection on digital video since it's so high quality. If you have a non-HDCP video display, you MUST have a digital source that's also non-HDCP. But all new digital display models should have HDCP.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Doug S
      • Dec 2004

thanks for your reply Chris the problem I'm having here is trying to find out which output I'm going to use for the projector. My gateway 901X has a s-video out port...VGA out [monitor port]......DVI out Jack....I'm not sure which of these will work or work the best if any of them.When I was talking to the salesman about connecting the 4805 to my DVI out Jack he said he did'nt believe this would work as they just had a prior incident with a customer that was having a problem with it working on his computer. He claimed that the DVI output was just for a plasma monitor which it says in my Gateway manuel[plug a DVI-D display device such as plasma display into this port.]...Not sure how this 901 X is going to handle this as it is an all in one setup with built in DVD player/recorder.....also runs my TV .....

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Are most digital TV's then just DVI-S?

In talking to the hitachi tech support, he advised this as well. I believe it had soemthing to do with not being DVI-D, he sugested the only way would be to use the s-video jack. So, much for using my monitor for computers as well.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Any of your computer video jacks should work in their own way. Again, I think your DVI port should work fine with a projector. I've used my DVI port on my Dell laptop (Inspiron 9100) with projectors without any problems.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Doug S
            • Dec 2004

What kind of projector do you have Chris? This was on an infocus 4805...if that makes any difference. I'm going to get ahold of Gateway on this as they to handle projectors and see what they tell me....

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I don't have a projector right now, but I tried it with a InFocus LP70+. I should be getting a projector in the next few weeks.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

You can certainly plug the DVI out of your PC into your 4805. HDCP is irrelevant, since the 4805 is compliant. Furthermore, you WANT to as this will likely get you the nicest picture quality.

The only issue will be setting the output resolutions and timings of the gateway's output to the correct values for the 4805. Check with the guys in the HTPC forum for help with that.

BB

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"