X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&Wman
    • Nov 2004

Need advice on new HDTV $3000-$3500

I'm in the market for a new widescreen TV.

Here are the criteria I'm looking for:
    Excellent picture quality
    Must have a native display at 720p
    Must have HDMI input
    Must have computer (RGB VGA or DVI) input
    Must be at least 37" widescreen, must not be greater than 55"
    Do not want burn-in and/or rainbow effects
    Viewable in moderately bright to dark viewing conditions
    Budget: $3000-$3500

What do you suggest? I'm willing to wait up to 6 months if new technology/price drops will be significant to accomodate my criteria. In addition to HDTV, I'll be watching movies using the Onkyo SP-1000 universal with 720p output.
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Based on that you are looking at either the LCD sets(no rainbows), or DILA of which right now you have JVC's.

Of the ones out, the JVC is the one I prefer of the digital technologies. It fits all of your criteria. You just need to pick out a size. They do make a 52" near that price or within it. Compared to LCD, DILA is way better to me.

If you are worried about rainbows, then DLP is not for you.

At this point you just need to look at the DILA JVC and see if you can find one where you live. The reason I say this is because we have lots of folks from various places and you may not be where you can get one.

Comment

• b&Wman
      • Nov 2004

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely take a look at the JVC DILA. The 52" is exactly in my price and size range.

Does anyone know if a the RGA to component cable will allow me to connect a computer card to the the TV's HD component input? That's important to me. If I can do that, then we have a winner.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I honestly don't know.

Also there are the Phillips Lcos sets but I still prefer the DILA's from JVC.

Comment

• Mitchell
          • Sep 2004

What are Rainbows?
          Mitchell

Comment

• Ocelot
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mitchell
            What are Rainbows?
            hehe, I was thinking the same thing :W

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

rainbows is an aritifact related with DLPs. I don't know exactly how it's produced and the explanations behind it, but i'm sure it has alot to do with the mirrors and color wheels used to make the human eyes perceive the primary colors. Few people see it, most don't, so next time at the stores, watch a DLP for a while and see if you can see it. I couldn't see it, but someone from another forum showed me exactly how to see it, curse him! But I have admit, even though I now know exactly how to see one, I still haven't seen it on the sets at the stores. It's most noticeble when the image is filled with dark images and some small portion of the screen is bright all of a sudden, you can see traces of red, blue and green.

For your price range, you can pick up a 42in. HD plasma at a reputable internet authorized dealer. It might be the commercial version, not the consumer. Plasmas has potential burn-in issues, but most people that I've heard that owns one don't have any problems once it's been calibrated, which is something that you have to do for every display anyways. If your viewing distance is no greater than 11-12 feet, I think the 42in. plasma is perfect. It has excellent PQ, no foot print, no rainbows and very little screen door(direct view), looks good in the bright and dark rooms, and natively display 720p. Check it out, good luck.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"