X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobbyDS
    • Nov 2004

Jvc Hd2k - Wow

I've seen a fair bit of discussion on this board about the HD2K and thought that I would drop a subjective opinion in for everyone to absorb. I'm pretty technical, and chose the HD2K for a number of reasons my head worked out. (A) It's 3-chip DILA system offers some pretty obvious immediate benefits - superior color rendition, full Hidef, less space between pixels for a more realistic image, perfectly adequate light for my home (I estimate near 700 Lumens) (B) the Faroudja 1010 scaler is (as far as I'm concerned) simply the best on the market (C) At only 13 pounds, I can mount the thing any old way I want.

I compared it to the Sony Qualia (and also, incidentally to the brand new Sanyo HiDef projector (I think it is the HD10, something like 5,000 lumens).

OK - that's pretty much all the objective considerations out of the way - here's where I get emotional.

I am completely and utterly gobsmacked by this projector. There is just no other way to put it in so few words. I have had it almost 3 months now (unit #13, apparently :-) and everyday, something else surprises me (pleasantly, of course).

First of all THE SPEED! I never expected it to be so fast! I don't know what the rated latency is, but it absolutely makes the Qualia and the Sanyo look like old-fashioned toys. Forget about the fact they all three have the same 1080 resolution, when it comes to moving pans or action scenes, the other two are completely shown up by this unit. Only after you have seen the JVC do you realize how badly the other two are handling fast movement. They end up with all kinds of flickering and you can "see" the frame movement, if you know what I mean.

Second, it's a lot brighter than I expected. I set up a 92" horizontal space, intending to order a positive gain screen. I held off on the order, as I got about 35 footlamberts off the PLAIN WALL instead of the expected 27. I am now going to wait until I move into my new place in January and will go for closer to a 120" horizontal sceen.

I can see why Phelps has a hard time moving back to CRT. Although the CRT probably moves a bit faster, those I've seen don't have near the clarity and sharpness at full 1920x1080.

OK - so all of the above probably is still too objective. How do I like it? It is the most fantastic piece of kit you could put in a home. It astonishes me everytime I use it. For DVD material, I mostly use PAL discs, except where something new is out on NTSC first. The upscaling is utterly phenomenal. On some material, it actually looks like the source was 720p. For HiDef material, I am using JVC DVHS decks. Anyone that prefers to hold out for HiDef DVD can suit themselves, but you are missing something VERY special. "Man on Fire" on DVHS is just another of the recent releases that SOOO utterly suits this projector. I also use HD material from Satellite.

You become totally absorbed in the picture - even to the point where you sometimes realized that you have watched a totally rubbish movie just because it was a really nice transfer ("Vertical Limit"comes to mind).

Some points on use - feed it what comes off the disc or tape, native. ie. on DVD material, send the proper interlaced signal, as the Faroudja box does a FAR better job of deinterlacing and scaling than your own DVD player could.

Second, the projector only accepts a 1080p signal in, either in 50 or 60 phase. The trick to watch is that the scaler will output whatever phase it is fed (regardless of the resolution of the source). You must manually set the projector for which phase to expect in from the scaler, or you will get an "out of range" error. This foxed me for an hour the first night.

If you can't control the lighting properly, then you should consider setting it up as a rear projector. But if you can swing this price range for any unit at all, you should buy this projector! Stunning. Anyone who comments on it without seeing it is missing a great opportunity. Believe me.

Oh - and BTW - anyone in the market for a new subwoofer or two MUST listen to the B&W PV1 (Pressure Vessel 1) - It's fabulous.
  • Cowanrg
    • Feb 2004

hum, i didnt read all what you said about the jvc, im just commenting on the b&w pv1...

ive heard it, i sell it, and its a joke in my mind. its clean, but it has NO output at all. maybe there is something wrong with ours? what are you comparing it to? in my mind, its one of the worst subs b&w has made, and they dont have a great reputation in my mind to begin with...

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

BobbyDS,

Thanks for the review. I own 2 D-ILA projectors. A G1000, and a G15.
      And the HD2K is a dream projector for me. :T

I haven't had a chance yet to see any of the native 1080 projectors yet (especially with a D-VHS video source) But I will no doubt someday.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your projector, and I'm personally hoping that the 1080P FPTVs drop down to under $10K soon, so that I can get one for myself. :B
      That event will most likely coincide with HD-DVDs finally coming to market (hopefully sooner rather than later)

Enjoy,
      -Dean.

Comment

• BobbyDS
        • Nov 2004

HD DVDs

HI Dean,

I'm very much looking forward to HD DVDs coming on the market too. The sooner the better, as I believe it will have far more material available on it in the first six months than other formats.

I just don't think its anytime soon and having a DVHS deck is not mutually exclusive of accepting HD DVD.

I couldn't imagine not having enjoyed HiDef material on DVHS for the last two years and, probably, for another two years also.

To the subwoofer fellow who didn't like the PV1, all I can say is that they are not 12 or 15 inchers, but they put out quite enough for my room. More importantly, I needed something very fast, clean and musical for my Maggies and the PV1 is one of the best at that. It's certainly not your traditional WOOMF WOOMF subwoofer filled with resonance, so its less conspicuous.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

HD2K sounds like a winner, but afraid it's way beyond my retired income budget. Here's to thousands of hours of happy viewing, Bobby. :T
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Cowanrg
            • Feb 2004

Bobby,

i guess i should qualify and state that im perfectly familiar with how a good sub sounds... i also own maggies so i know the importance of having a good clean sub.

like i said before, this sub is clean, but its bass output was on par with a good pair of monitors. its VERY low output. we really didnt get anything out of it until it was at least half or 3/4, and still it could barely add to a pair of towers effectively.

its very expensive to "not even be a 12 or 15". you can get some pretty decent 12's for that money.

Comment

• BobbyDS
              • Nov 2004

Fair enough

Fair point on the subwoofer - I agree that its output is less than ideal. I guess because I'm using the the smaller maggies (MMG) that it works OK. Were it to have to do a bigger job it probably wouldn't scale. That said, it just sounds so nice with these speakers

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"