X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Worst Nightmare during maintenance

Apologies for the site being down all weekend! I ran into an issue with the database and I ended up having to restore from the daily backups which today is a bit of a process to unzip the base and then all the incremental backups. The good news is that the restore procedure works. The bad news is that the system maintenance that I was trying to do was an epic fail and I will have to open a support ticket with vb to see why I have duplicate keys in one of the tables that breaks the patch they provided.

That was quite the scare for me! Always have a good backup strategy and procedures on how to restore.

Time for bed now, I'm exhausted after this exercise 😅
    Painter in training
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

It's always wise to back up the database (full backup/dump) and any other files before doing maintenance. That way if anything goes sideways you have an easier restore path.

If you're running VMs you could use snapshots too, for an even quicker restore path.

Comment

• theSven
      Master of None
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kevin P
      It's always wise to back up the database (full backup/dump) and any other files before doing maintenance. That way if anything goes sideways you have an easier restore path.

If you're running VMs you could use snapshots too, for an even quicker restore path.
      I'm using AWS now to host the website and working towards automating the deployment of it to be able to rebuild on the fly. I use a VM for local testing at this time. Containers are where I would like to go to be able to upgrade or downgrade on the fly. It would be cool to leverage Kubernetes for the auto scaling and rolling upgrades.
      Painter in training

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"