ADMIN - Why can't I search in titles only?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

ADMIN - Why can't I search in titles only?

I've been trying to look up some topics in regards to amps with B&Ws and everything I use any of the following words in any of the following combinations, I get a result that the word is too common.

B&W
    amp

I even tried searching titles for a topic I started and it won't find it.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Try something longer and/or more specific
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

The minimum length for a searchable word is set to 4. So 4 letter words are indexed but not 3 letter words.

I can add specific words to be indexed, and I just added B&W, amp, cat, and BMW to the list. I don't want to index all 3 letter words since there are tons of ones that aren't worth searching on (the, are, add, etc.) and it would make the database that much larger.

If there are other HT related terms that are less than 4 letters long that you think should be added to the search, let me know and I can add them.

Note that only new posts will have the words indexed, unless I rebuild the entire search index (a very server intensive process).

I'll play around on an offline copy of the database on a different box to see what the performance impact would be by indexing all 3 letter words, and reindexing the database.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeah, the index that'd be created if you went after all 3-letter words and abbreviations would be a pretty large one Kevin. I'm curious as to what your testing shows. . . . :yesnod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Ahhhhhhhh, that's why I couldn't find it. Thanks.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Well, my laptop running a copy of the database is still building the index 2 hours later... granted my laptop is only a fraction of the speed/power as the HTG server, but I bet reindexing on the server would take a bit of time as well.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

We may not want all 3 letter words indexed even if we do get it to run quickly. I'd think just adding some of the model numbers that fit the criteria would be a more approp. route to go.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"